1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Service 3/4ton Van or 3/4ton Truck?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RedWingsDet, Jul 6, 2008.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Which do you guys prefer?

I am at the point where I need to get a vehicle for irrigation only.

I often wondered why some use trucks, is their a benefit over vans that I am not aware of?

I have been using my landscape trucks these past few years, and now that I have a good rep. in the area for irrigation and know what I am doing (dont know everything and realistically, never will) and I stand behind my work, I need a dedicated irrigation vehicle.

I personally want a chevy 3/4ton van with swing doors on the side and in back (mainly for the shelving and drawer ability), and thats what I am planning on buying this fall or next spring, however, before I purchase, I want to know if their is an unknown reason for trucks in the irrigation business?

Thanks fellas

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Let me start by saying I do NO irrigation work... but anyway, I see a lot of guys around here using 3/4 ton and 1 ton utility bed trucks, and then run a plow on them in the winter.

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

understandable in that respect. however I am looking to see what the best irrigation vehicle is. I dont need plow trucks or landscape trucks as I already have plenty. I want something that will be the best for irrigation.

P.S. what do you guys think of the sprinters for service work??

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

My service guy drives a ranger with 3 tool boxes 1 acroos the back and 2 side boxes.
    I drive a e 250 extended. Then we also have a f 350 for towing the machine. Guy that drives that does the local calls on service only days.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

sprinter for the win

6. How do you store pipe on a Sprinter? We are talking investing what? 40,000 on a sprinter right? I love the concept of those sprinters but the more I look the more I talk myself out of them.

7. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no problems storing pipe in my van, we are mostly poly which makes it easier. But I just keep a couple 10' pieces of PVC in the van. BTW: avg mpg is 23.5-24 a day

When I gave the van to my #1 tech for a couple of days he could not wait to get the utility truck back.

8. Curious now. Why did he prefer the truck to van?

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

A van holds a real lot , but it can get messy in one days time.

10. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

His truck was organized exactly how he wanted it and he did not have to spend the extra time looking for stuff. He also said he just always found it easier to work out of a utility bed then a van.

I bought my van in April and since then put under 10k on it. If you give the Utility bed the benefit of the doubt at 12mpg @ 10k & $4gal (833.33 gal x 4) equals $3,333.33 for fuel. The van at 23.5mpg @ 10k & 4.75gal (425.53 x 4.7) equals $1,999.99 for fuel. So I should save atleast $2500 in fuel this summer. Also it is a kick arse camping van.