service area

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by deltascapes, Sep 21, 2006.

1. deltascapes

deltascapes LawnSite Member

I just want to know what are some of your service areas are. i am in a slow growing area and have to do some traveling. if you could give me some of you radius areas. thanks a lot

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Its all relative deltascapes. In my market, we can spend an hour plus getting to some jobs and only travel 15 miles. We have other customers that are 30 miles away that we get to in 45 minutes. And then there is the cream of the crop, those that we can get to in less than 25 minutes. The bottom line is that if you have to drive a long distance or spend a lot of time getting there its got to be worth your while. The best way to make good money in lawn care is customer density, who cares if you have to drive a ways if you can service 18-20 customers when you get there. the problem with getting to spread out comes when you get service calls, having to drive an hour to do a free follow-up will kill you.

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

samw here..
    if i have a client i need to get there neighbors

4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto,
    I keep in my truck solicitation packs that I can hang on neighbors doors or hand to them personally. Don't forget to offer refrall bonuses also. For us we stay within about 45 minutes drive.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Got To Keep It Under A Half An Hour

6. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Got to stay in a close area. No more than 10 minutes driving time from base of customers. Figure if you have 3 people on one block and it takes 1 hour to service all 3 and you have one customer 20 minutes (one way) outside of your normal route. The "extra" customer requires "3" customers time: 20 minutes to drive there, 20 minutes to do work and 20 minutes to drive back to your normal route. Are you charging that "extra" customer 3x your normal rate just so you can stay even? It takes 1 hour to service 3 on one block and it take 1 hour to service the extra customer 20 minutes away. You really have to sit down and think is it really worth it.