service before or after?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by kevin0311, Nov 18, 2006.

1. kevin0311

kevin0311 LawnSite Member

my 05 lazer z 27/60 now has a whopping 65 hours on it and time to put away for the winter but when should i do the oils and filters now or in the spring? changed the oil, ect after breakin period at around the 10hr mark i think it was but have heard different stories for winter storage. some say do it in the spring to get any condensation out before spring useage but my gut is telling me do it all now so it can sit with fresh oil for the winter. also should i shut the gas off and run until it stalls so no gas sits in carb?anything else i should do? take belts off pully so it doesn't keep tension on all winter?

by the way it will be sitting outside under a tarp.

2. kevin0311

any thoughts? want to do this weekend if i am going to do anything.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello,
    I would change the oil before you put the unit away for winter, fully grease the machine and use gas stabilizer in both tanks and run for 5 minutes on each tank. You can take the belts off the pulleys to increase the life of the belt, but it is not necessary.
    Thanks,
    Brian

4. kevin0311

ok thanks, should i do anything in the spring?

what gas treatment do you recomend? i have had good luck with stabil but i noticed on my old jd that i could see it sitting in the bottom of the clear tank in one big redish blob. marvile mistory mabey?

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Kevin, I use Stabil since way back when and I never noticed any reddish blobs. Thats what I would use and just reverse the process, I don't know if I would change the oil again but I would grease everything, obviously put the belts back on (if you take them off) I would remove the spark plug and spray some WD40 down the cylinder to keep it from rusting some. I also spray all bolts and springs and adjustments down with Fluid Film, the I wipe down the deck and all other metal again with Fluid Film.