Service Directory.. How to make 4 lines different?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mrusk, Apr 12, 2005.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I havn't picked up as much work this spring as i would have liked to so far. I am thinking about put an ad in the service directory of the local newspaper. The price is 7 weeks for 210. There are about 12 ads listed in that section under landscaping and lawns. Everyone basically just list their services, nothing catchy or flashy. What can i put in 4 lines that would seperate me from the rest? Or is this just a waste of money since their is already 12 ads in the paper?

Matt

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

references available, pesticide lic # if you have one, Insured. Honest reliable service. DONT PUT no job too big or too small, thats a joke. Are you after residential or commercial, or anything?

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I'm after residential and commerical.

Matt

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

You'll find that ads in the service directory in your paper will produce only marginal results, regardless of the ad. I used to use these for a few years until I found better methods of marketing (namely flyers.) I will say this; I did notice a few things that produced better results - mention the area you work in. If you are in a large city (e.g. Detroit) don't just put a blanket ad out like everyone else. In Bold type write, SERVING DETROIT'S WEST SIDE . Then, everyone who lives in your area who sees all these boring ads will call you because they know for sure that you are in their area. It helps a lot. Still, newspaper ads are not all that successful. But this will help.

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Try adding a border.