Service info for Kaw FD620D S14

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dutch1, Nov 30, 2007.

1. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I'm working on a Kaw FD620D water cooled on a JD 6X4 that was over filled with oil/gas. I pulled carb to check for defective/leaking needle. I pressure tested the needle/seat and it held 8 psi. I reinstalled the carb and the customer was to drain/change oil. I went by later today to check on it and the new oil was contaminated with gas, about an inch above the full mark.
    For anyone with service information, what PSI should the needle/seat hold and what is the maximum PSI on the electric fuel pump? I didn't check the float thoroughly, but I believe that I would have caught a bad/leaking float.

Dutch

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Dutch,

The fuel pump shut-off delivery pressure is 2.8 to 3.8 psi and I found this test;

[​IMG]

I didn't find any float valve pop-off spec, Only this;

[​IMG]

3. Restrorob

I forgot I had a service manual CD for these Gators but I found nothing on the float needle valve pop-off on it either, I really don't know where one would pop-off at.

4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Rob, your information verifies what I thought I had remembered. It was about a year ago that I talked to a shop person at JD who told me that the fuel pump pressure shouldn't exceed 4 psi. As far as the pop off pressure on the needle/seat, I've never seen one, but since I'm at 8+, either I've got a bad fuel pump that won't shut off or I've missed a bad float. I'm leaning toward the fuel pump because I distinctly remember shaking the float.

Thanks, Rob, and while you're at it send some of your global warming our way.

Dutch

5. Restrorob

No problem Dutch, BUT....The global warming stays here !!!

It was in the low to mid 20's a couple mornings last week, I HATE cold weather and working in a tin building.... :cry:

Good Luck !