Service/Install Vehicle Setups?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by fsujammer, Feb 9, 2014.

1. fsujammer

fsujammer LawnSite Member
    from IA

Hey guys, what are you currently using for your service/install vehicles? Do you run trucks, half ton, compact, or possibly vans? Also, what kind of storage bin setups do you have? Pictures would be awesome!

2. fsujammer

from IA

I'm sure you guys have trailers of some sort as well. Do you build bins in them to organize your parts? What would you do in the future if you could build one from scratch?

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

4. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

This is my truck 5 years ago, its a bit cluttered now but you get the idea.

[​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. fsujammer

from IA

This is exactly what I was looking for! Being that you have use this setup for 5 now, are you happy with it? My reason for asking is I'm wondering how well a cargo van would work using bins inside it. There is one in town that I think I can get a pretty good deal on but don't want to waste the money if it won't be very easy to use.

6. greenmonster304

Do you mean like a small box truck? I like my setup it is good for service but doesn't hold enough for my average install which is why I bought an enclosed trailer. I personally hate vans. I don't like them because they are too easily cluttered and you have to climb over everything to get to your parts. But if you keep it neat I could work ok.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. fsujammer

from IA

Also, where do you get your cardboard bins from? I see you can get them online but didn't know if you had a place you would recommend?

8. greenmonster304

Uline seems to have the best selection with decent prices. I found some cheaper but only had a few sizes and line is really fast at shipping.

9. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

We use vans and have nice shelves...always something to climb over though..also climbing inside is annoying throughout the day..

10. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I use a couple of E250 vans. They work great, the shelves are big enough I can just cut the tops off my fitting and head boxes with a razorblade and put them right on the shelf. I prefer that to transferring parts from one box to another.

It does get cluttered if we're doing an install or major rework/addition but for just service, it's very easy to keep it clean. I've done a couple of installs where other than the pipe, I was able to do the entire job from van stock so it definitely holds a lot of material.