1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Service line hook-ups

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mad Estonian, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Mad Estonian

Mad Estonian LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious- how many of you live in places where the plumbing code calls for only plumbers to be officially allowed to do hook-ups to the service line? Officially, that's how it is here, but most plumbing inspectors will let irrigators do it, if they seem capable...
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We can do the taps here. The rule is we can do anything after the meter.
  3. I think it is required to be backflow certified here.....I haven't bothered yet..but I'm sure I'll get popped eventually. My goal this year is to install 30 systems.....30 more chances to get popped. :)
  4. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

What would you say is the average number of installs for a decent size company in your area?
  5. I have no clue....I did 14 last year w/out hardly trying.....4 of them alone.

30 should be do-able......
  6. Dirty Water

We did about 100 new installs. Three man crew.

The work is out there :)

We also did enough service work to keep 2 people busy 40-50 hours a week all year.
  7. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

60 something this past year, three of which were large apt. complexs

i hope this year can provide as many
  8. Well...thanks for making me feel like a slacker ;)
  9. Dirty Water

Thought I'd post my typical service line tap and shutoff valve before the backflow:

10. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

Now that is a nice tap. None of them look like that around here. I like the idea of having metal in there to keep from having blowouts before the isolation valves. Good Work There. JW