1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Service Magic and Angie's List

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by IHA Services, Apr 6, 2012.

1. IHA Services

IHA Services LawnSite Member

What is everyone's reviews/experience with these websites?

I've already signed up for Angie's List and am waiting for a call back Monday about signing up for Service Magic.

It sounds like a good service but I am a bit hesitant to pay per lead.

Questions, especially about service magic:

1) How good were the leads you received?

2) What was your rate of conversion (how many actually turned into clients)?

3) How many leads did you get per week/month and how much did it cost you?

4) Any complaints about how the company treated you or about the service in general?

Thanks for the input folks, hopefully some people with experience will chime in.

2. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

I did Service Magic briefly- its a system that rewards the fast and cheap.

Look at Redbeacon, Thumbtack, and Homeblue. I prefer all three of them- especially Redbeacon.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. IHA Services

Redbeacon looks great but does not work in my area.

The appeal of service magic to me was that it was more direct. The leads coming to you instead of you coming to the leads.

4. ptjackson

ptjackson LawnSite Member

IHA I know a fair bit about the space since I'm working in it. One I haven't talked to anyone who LIKES service magic that's not to say they still don't use them but they don't really like it. They charge per lead, they sell the same lead to multiple companies in your area, and depending on area and service depends on what they charge. I think the minimum is about $15-$20.

Now for a little bit of a commercial. My site works more like red beacon only for landscape and outdoor companies. There are some differences but that's the idea. Full disclosure it only went live about a week ago so there's probably not jobs yet in your area. However, it's FREE to create a listing right now and it's a nice link to your website or Facebook page for FREE. There's a place to show off your work, logos etc. all FREE. Poke around, my site is completely transparent so you can see how it works. I'd love to hear what you do or don't like about it.
    Thanks,
    Phil
    ServiceVines.com

5. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I did service magic a few years ago and hated it. I would not recommend using them.
    I have been using Angie's List for a while now and it has not worked out for me. I have not gotten a call, email anything. Most people on there are looking for business who already have reviews. But hey its free!

6. IHA Services

Thanks, went ahead and signed up for your website. Plan to get as many leads from as many quality sites as possible.

Still on the fences about Service Magic, it seems not many people like it but many use it.

7. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

ServiceMagic built my business. It is far from perfect but it is very cost effective. Depending on your market segment your leads are going to one or two others contractors. The first one to call them back usually gets the business, so call them immediately if not sooner.

If you concentrate on it's flaws you will hate it but if you work it properly and look at the results you will find it to be the most cost effective stream of lead generation you have.

8. crlawncare01

crlawncare01 LawnSite Member

i have did angie list for 3 years now and it works great for me its free!!!! and i average 4-5 more clients a year with it... not much but you not paying anything..

service magic i did for about 2 years and i hated it!!! false leads, most people where not ready for service....etc

9. Grass887

Grass887 LawnSite Member

Im signed up with service magic, and if I don't get this last job I just quoted, im cancelling it. 95% of the calls are garbage, half the people don't even realize what the service is, I call....'oh, is this what i signed up for?? i don't really need anything'
    A lot of the calls, are calls you don't really want. Customers you don't want. In about 8 months, I scored one stupid little leaf clean up, which paid for half of the leads I got. This job I just bid, will probably pay for all the leads, plus this coming up years leads.....so Im sure I won't get the job, el oh el.

10. TheGoat

TheGoat LawnSite Senior Member

What do you charge for leads?
    Does each provider pay for the lead or only the one that books the job?