Service Magic and Angie's List

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by IHA Services, Apr 6, 2012.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Angie called me today asking for my customer list. I laughed out loud on the phoneand told them i heard what they do. Shehad no answer so i hung up
  2. cotyledon

cotyledon LawnSite Senior Member

Yuck - the worst of the worst !. I get the creeps thinking about those type of customers. I picture a single old smelly cat lady in my head:laugh:
  3. cotyledon

sweet ! never give em the numbers. ppl will review if they want right?
  4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I drove by today since I was in the area. Just wanted to see the property in person. I saw a woman out in the yard with a leaf rake. Looked younger than I had imagined. Then I saw the 15' steep slope with a fence RIGHT at the bottom that ran along the side of the house. What a nightmare to cut a slope with a fence at the bottom. Oh, and the lawn looked like it needed cut. I'm sure she would say it doesn't, but give it another week and it will be a mess to cut.
    Glad I missed out on this one even more now.

You'd be surprised how many will give you high praise in person, yet neglect to ever give a review even after having found you on Angie's List and seeing all of your other good reviews.

It's human nature to put more effort into complaining than giving a compliment. You can't expect that they will give you a good review on their own - some need a gentle reminder.

I'd never give my clients info to AL though. I'd feel like crap for having them get a sales pitch to join AL.
  5. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I wasn't asking you…. I was saying "you" as in contractors in a general sense.

Anyway, we have never paid Angie's list a dime. They are a business and they need to make sales and money like the rest of us. Yes, they can be annoying and the offers to buy into their advertising/deal/etc. can be obnoxious. I get calls and letters weekly. They push me had to spend money with them. I decline every time.

My goal with them has always been to get on that first page and stay there through quality customer reviews. NOT by paying them…

We've been with them for 3 years. Top-rated. 5 Super Service awards in the past two years. I look at it this way and I've told them this on the phone- I take advantage of their platform, their members hire us, we do great work, member receives VALUE from their Angie's list membership, member renews membership, WIN-WIN-WIN. Everyone gets value, while I pay Angie's list nothing.

Just this past week, of all our jobs, approximately 5500.00 was billed to Angie's list members. This is just Spring clean-ups/mulch. One week.
  6. OakNut

As I understand it, you don't get on the "first page" just because you have good reviews, or Super Service awards. The listings rotate - unless you pay for the listing to be on the front page.
    Otherwise EVERYONE would be on the "first page". All it takes is 3 good reviews to get a SS award, so it's not as though it's some "elite club" the way they make it out to be.

I wondered why I would get "spurts" of calls and I believe that happened when I was randomly listed near the top.
  7. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I have a bunch of good reviews on Angie's list and 2 bad ones. The bad ones I had declined. I was either too busy or they are out of my service area.
  8. OakNut

Funny. I have one glaring "F" amongst 18 "AAAA" ratings.
    It came from a woman who I did an estimate for. I set up a day to go look and when I had an opening a few days before, I took the opportunity to stop and look - you know, because people generally like having things done sooner than later.
    Well, I couldn't do the job - it was beyond my scope. I called and left a message.
    She never returned my message, but posted a review that said that I "Made sure to come when she wasn't there" - that I "seemed sneaky".

:rolleyes: No good deed goes unpunished I guess. Should have made her wait the extra two days.

My guess is she was burned in the past by hacks and assumes everyone else is out to do the same. I was really upset, but ultimately her review is SO polar opposite from every other review that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that she is likely way off base.

My "rep" said they couldn't do anything about the review. She suggested I call the lady to discuss it. Yeah, OK - then the nutcase would post that I tried to coerce her into changing her review. No thanks.
    At least it didn't count against the stupid award since no work was performed.
  9. cotyledon

Yes that's what the advertising is . You pay to be highlighted at the top of the list . Cost 3000$ a year in ny
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I don't know about that. I'm on the first page and it's because I have the most positive reviews.