Service Magic and Angie's List

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by IHA Services, Apr 6, 2012.

1. LandscapemanFL

LandscapemanFL LawnSite Member

You got another member:drinkup:

2. ptjackson

ptjackson LawnSite Member

thanks @landscapemanFL Great looking logo. I'm here to make a service that people love, If I'm successful at that then I'll be successful.

3. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you paying the 1100/year to advertise there, or did one of your clients rate you and that's how people find out about you?

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

It's more than $1100/year, we're in several categories.It also has to do with market size.

5. Utah Lawn Care

An Angie's list lady called me today and quoted me roughly $1100. She said there were 8000 clients in my area. I asked how big my area was and she said the surrounding 60 miles. Only 1/4 of the people within 60 miles are in my service range. That means only 2000 angie's list people are in my area and I would be paying 1100 bucks for it. She is calling back tomorrow. I am open to trying a new advertising strategy each year, but I don't like tying up a big part of my marketing budget for 1 thing like that. I am leaning towards NO THANKS! Have you noticed any big benefits from being upgraded to one of their paying clients? Did you see a big jump in calls? Are there any benefits that I should know about besides more exposure? Thanks

6. cpllawncare

The biggest benefit I've seen is the fact that most of the clients,not all mind you but most, are ready to buy when they call. $1100/year shouldn't be a major part of your advertising budget, that's not near enough over the course of a year.

7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Been a while since this discussion started.

Seems the Angie's List is making more progress for themselve than Service Magic. Angie's List sends out quite a bit of mail, too.

I can't tell yet if Angie's List's reputation is rising or falling among homeowners. Although I hear the name mentioned a lot less.

8. Utah Lawn Care

Update: Angie's list contacted me back and quoted me under $400 to advertise for the year to the county that is relevant to me. I decided to give it a try. My service area is only 30k so most of you will have significantly higher prices. When one types in lawn care I am at the very top because I am the only paying member in my area. I can update you in a few months if it has been profitable or not.

9. cpllawncare

how many catagories? sounds like only one, $400/year is an awful small area, the upside is you're the only one they will be calling.

10. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

For us, Angie's List is HUGE.

Two years ago, I started to solicit reviews from customers and I sent AL my customer list (they cross-reference it to get reviews in…) and it just exploded. We have over 40 (not all posted, unfortunately) positive reviews and one bad one. We've won 5 Super Service awards the past 2 years.

Customers hit us up constantly. A lot don't send in reviews, which sucks. I can't count how many jobs we've done thru AL. GREAT source for a good customer who cares. They do call you and mail you a lot, once you've become a good company on their site…. trying to get you to buy advertising, better page placement, monthly mailer ads. I have turned them down for two years. Have not paid them a dime for anything. One day I will, when we want to place an ad.