Service Magic and Angie's List

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by IHA Services, Apr 6, 2012.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Have you ever looked at the side bar on angies list where it gives "landscaping tips" or what "jobs like this in your area are going for?" and/or the advice to 'never ever pay more than X for Y type of job'

Where do they get their information from? Hey Angie! The 1930s called and want's their depression back!

2. cotyledon

cotyledon LawnSite Senior Member

Whoa ive never noticed that! ,haven't spent too much time on the customer interface of that web site. man she rubs me wrong
    also you cant leave a bad angies list report on angies list, nor can u try to hide one in a response to a report

3. cotyledon

cotyledon LawnSite Senior Member

I did a big deal for design . angie got 9k $ , I got collection notices

and im no slouch, 20 yrs in the business never a bbb or consumer affairs complaint

from my experience I would say use her list for free thats fine, but once you open up that wallet her commission based sales ppl smell blood

4. guitarman2420

guitarman2420 LawnSite Senior Member

I have had my best results through Val-Pak, and Direct UPS marketing. I "barter" for the printing costs so all I pay for is the actual mailing costs. I am able to market to only clients that are in close proximity to other clients and that are in the demographic market that I want to service. Works great for me.

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

so you're saying you got 9 grand and no work?

what were the collection notices about?

6. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like your big deal wasn't structured right! I've did big deals, not a huge fan too much discounting involved but You have to make sure your deal is structured in your favor not theirs, don't approve it if it's not

7. fannin76

fannin76 LawnSite Member

I know this is an old thread but I love home advisor(service magic)
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Why?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. fannin76

fannin76 LawnSite Member

Because I'm a new business in a new city and I was unsure of where to advertise and target I almost gave up on trying to be in business. I signed up with them and in two days I was getting jobs and my business has really boomed since.
    Posted via Mobile Device