Service Magic lead system

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ProSvcs, Mar 11, 2005.

1. ProSvcs

ProSvcs LawnSite Member
    from MD

Has anyone here used Service Magic lead system??

I have had a rep contact me about registering on their system to recieve leads from businesses and homowners wanting bids on landscaping projects??

www.servicemagic.com

2. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I was signed up with them about 5 years ago for masonry and landscape hardscapes and let me tell it was a bunch of bull, all I did was pay for leads and would never get the costumers to call back I would say out of the 30 leads I received I only went on 2-3 estimates so I canceled.

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We use them as well as landscapeleads .com. They both work the same way, but I like landscapeleads .com better. They are cheaper and have better customer service. The leads seem to be better as well.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I believe jimlewis has had good referrals with them.

5. ProSvcs

ProSvcs LawnSite Member
    from MD

Thanks All...

I guess I will pass on them for now then.

I appreciate all of the help.

Jim

6. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i've used them with mixed results. you can sign up for a trial of no-specific-info leads, although trusting them as valid is another story.

rodfather is correct. if you search "service magic" here you'll get jim lewis' posts about them.

7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

About a year ago I contacted them and inquired about how their service could benefit me. They explained how much I'd have to pay per month plus the additional fee I'd pay for each lead.

I was interested, so I asked for some demographics for my zip code. Over several conversations I found that they said they could provide data, but in the end they never could.

They talk a good talk, but it's just hot air. I get more leads from people who do a Yahoo search for my city, and of course they are free.

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I love them.

I think too many people have too high of expectations of leads services.

They expect that every lead they get will result in an estimate given - it won't. Some people just want to find a good lawn care guy or landscaper and if one of the other two leads they get gets to their house before you do, they may just sign up with them right on the spot. So not every lead results in an estimate.

They expect to land the same percentage of leads from Service Magic as they normally land through their other marketing methods (e.g. flyers). This isn't going to happen either. When someone calls S.M. - they get 3 leads for qualified contractors. And we know this is a competitive industry. With 3 good companies, it will come down to price, presentation, price, response time, and price. Conversely, when someone responds to your flyers they are often calling you and only you. No other guys to compare to. You will always land more of those leads than you will a Service Magic lead.

They expect Service Magic to end all of their marketing worries. That probably won't happen. You can't count on S.M. to provide ALL or even MOST of your leads. Think of them as a supplemental for of marketing - not the main form. Whatever leads and jobs you get from them are just bonus.

They expect to get a lot of calls right away. That may or may not happen depending on where you live, the market you are in, the population of your town, etc. I live in a booming area and service the some of the richest suburbs in the Portland, OR area. But someone who lives in a smaller, less populated or less well-off city in Missouri is obviously going to get different results than I do.

I've been with them for years and love them. I never think of Service Magic as my only means of getting leads. It's just one of about 10 ways I get leads. But alltogether, these 10 or so ways of getting leads that I use add up to me getting so many calls each spring and summer that I can't keep up with them all. Which is why I haven't been on lawnsite in weeks.

Jim Out.

9. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

nice post, jim. it definitely helps if people look at their marketing as a sum of the parts.

to clarify my earlier post trusting the sample leads as valid, this past winter i did a trial run with them, after having not used them for a couple of years. the sales rep said it was a bad time of year, Nov/Dec, which is why i tried it. she said the data they have shows that to be the slowest time of year and i could expect maybe 1 or 2 lead samples at most over the trial period. i was receiving 3 and 4 a day, with follow-up calls from the rep. there is absolutely no way that those were legitimate, unless there was some odd anomaly that drove a dozen people in my market to all want to spend $10k on replacement windows as they were heading into the christmas holiday. maybe it was just a "glitch".

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm. I dunno about that. I've never had any leads during any time of the year that I suspected were bogus. I get a few now and then who don't return my calls but that's fairly rare.

The winter definitely is slow for all kinds of leads - including Service Magic Leads. I think we only got one or two leads in December. But this March, on the other hand, we've had dozens of leads from them.