1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Service Magic?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ALarsh, Nov 15, 2007.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Who uses servicemagic.com? I am considering signing up with them and would like to hear from other people that may have used them. Thanks
  2. MFS

MFS LawnSite Member

HI I tried them they want to much for there service and they may give you get a customer and you may not
  3. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i think they are a scam
  4. Bing80

Bing80 LawnSite Member

I have been using ServiceMagic for about four months and in that time frame, I have contested 3 so-called leads and got 1 mowing job and spent about 200 dollars, I turn my leads off all the time because of the worthless leads that I receive. Definitely not worth the charges, plus given the demographics in my area, the chosen clients that I am after wouldn't use this service anyway. The biggest draw back was the time and energy in fighting with ServiceMagic in order to have the service of "landscape installations" put on our profile because ServiceMagic said that you had to be a certified nursery grower in WI to qualify for this service, which is not the case, and to get any type of hardscape leads you also get leads for concrete & asphalt work which are about $20 per lead out of your pocket. Hope this helps.
  5. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Not worth it.
  6. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

i have had them since the spring of this year. i think it will take another season to see if they are worth it yet. I have gotten a few good leads this year, several of them hardscaping. the problem was that when i signed up this spring i was so darn busy i could not even follow though on the leads, i had to shut it off until things slowed down. i did get a very nice demolition and grading job that was about $10k that probable paid for all of the leads i didn't get. my hope was to get more leads when things are slow, but that is not happening right now.

i do know one person on here that says that service magic keeps his irrigation service crew busy all season. i guess it depends on what you are after. one thing is for sure, if you do a search on just about any trade, they come up in the top 10 listings.
  7. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Very poor quality leads with little to no screening, I got a lead one time for mow and maintain landscape, drove there, did the estimate, brought it to the door to find out they wanted their mower repaired not lawn service. Also I've gotten several out of my requested area. Every Time you have to fight with them to get a credit (not a refund, that will never happen) and most of the time they don't give it to you. As far as I'm concerned Its a waste of time and money. I tried it for a year and a half, got 2 alright customers from 30 something leads at $11 to $20 something each, I had to fight with them on at least 6 occasions over a bad lead.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Put it to you this way "Tire Kickers" now we have received some good leads as well. I just use them when it gets really slow. I did win a HUGE snow and ice bid on three condos subdivisions too.
  9. Doug1966

Doug1966 LawnSite Member

we used them. it wasn't that bad. when we started off we needed leads and they gave us a bunch. tire kickers mainly. so it depends on where you are at in your bussiness. if you are fortunate enough to be a little picky about business, it is not worth it. if you are desperate, it might be worth it for you!

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been using Service Magic for several years.

It is not a scam and yes it is worth it. They screen all their contractors for proper insurance Etc.

Where else are you going to get a phone number of someone looking for your type of work for $12-18.

Sure you get tire kickers but who doesn't. Out of the 150-200 leads I have received from them I have had only two or three "bogus" ones. Never had a problem getting a credit. I have received many more waste of time calls from newspaper ads.