Service Magic

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobdaduke, Aug 5, 2004.

1. bobdaduke

bobdaduke LawnSite Member

2. DFWProLawn

DFWProLawn LawnSite Member
    from DFW, TX

link doesn't work

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

It will if you remove the comma.

This asks a lot of a potential user. My guess is that a simple directory of LCOs will draw a lot more responses.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We've had this discussion several times here on lawnsite before.

I think the majority of people here have a bad impression of service magic. Many of them have never even tried it but didn't like the price that was asscociated with signing up. Some who did sign up tried it only for a short time and didn't like a few of the leads they were getting and then decided to give up and say they didn't like Service Magic too.

I have been involved with Service Magic for several years now - at least 3 years. I can't remember exactly how long.

My experience has been GREAT. And it keeps getting better. I will admit, we only land one out of every 2-4 leads we get from them. And sometimes less than that. But the lead fees are so cheap, it doesn't matter. The quality leads that do come from them always end up making it worth it.

I am in the middle of a $15,000 job right now that came from them. And we've completed over a dozen $5,000+ jobs that came from them this year alone.

I will admit, however, that for lawn care, Service Magic just produces marginal results. I don't get a lot of new lawn care accounts from them. My success has really been more in landing landscape construction and irrigation system jobs - ESPECIALLY irrigation systems. We must have landed almost 10 of them from service magic over the last year.

Anyway, I highly recommend them. Don't expect miracles. You won't get a whole ton of leads unless you live in a very populated area. But the great thing is you only pay when you get leads. So if you only get one or two leads one month, you'll only pay $15 or so. That's WAY better than yellow pages or any other form of advertising.

That's my 2 cents.

5. bobdaduke

bobdaduke LawnSite Member

Thank ya much Sir

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

One more tip I thought of today in regards to Service Magic (as I checked my email and had 2 more irrigation system leads) is that you should really work with a rep. and have him help you optimize your account. We've gotten more leads from Service Magic over the last 12 months than I probably did in the last 3 years combined. Part of that is because they are marketing better. But a bigger part is because last fall a rep. called me from Service Magic and helped me optimize my account so I could get the most leads.

The problem with the way my account was set up before was the service area was too restrictive. I was only signed up to get leads for certain zip codes. He asked me, "You don't want to go into any of these other towns close by to do work?" And I said, "Well, as far as lawn maintenance goes, no. I have a pretty tight route and just work in these specific areas. I don't want to pay for leads outside these areas." He asked, "What about other work? Irrigation systems, installs, etc?" I said, "Well, for that kind of stuff I wouldn't mind going a little further out. I'll go a little further for a $5K or $10K job." So he told me he could divide my account into two sub-accounts. One would just be for lawn care - with the restricted areas only. And the other would be a more expanded area for which I would get leads only for larger jobs.

Making that simple change has resulted in a LOT more leads this year - for bigger jobs. And when you're doing bigger jobs, just 3 or 4 more per year can add a lot to your yearly sales.

Anyway, again, can't say enough good about Service Magic. When it comes to leads for larger jobs, S.M. probably accounts for 25% or more of the leads we get these days.