service markout

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jbailey52, Feb 27, 2007.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering, we h ave called the utility marking guys today.. wont be there for 3 days.. My question is, do you guys see a problem on just doing the demo of a 15' concrete front walkway before this markout? We wont be doing any excabvation until the markout, just the demo now. Thanks!

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

How are you doing the demo? What type of equipment?

Chris

3. jbailey52

going to use a small jack hammer to break up the crete....

my side is I dont think I have any problem... but would like to hear everyone elses thoughts

4. jbailey52

Any help would be appreciated since I am planning on doing this tommorow.

5. cgland

Although it seems trivial, I would wait until the mark out is done. This way, you know without a doubt that your a$$ is covered. JMO!

Chris

6. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

I would wait. In 13 years I have yet to see a utility install that is done to required depth with telephone and cable lines. I can't count the number of them I have cut.

7. jbailey52

bable and phone are in the air... so what ya think? ha just worried about electric but I would imagine its not a prob

8. cgland

Aparently you are not willing to take advise, so do what you want!

Chris

9. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

wel let me tell you a story. there was a house that burned here. they put the house out and it was still standing. the owner called and wanted it demoed and hauled off. so dad tells the guy to call the utilites and tel them that it is to be demoed and to pull the utilities from the house. well we go to work a few weeks later and i push over a chimney it lands on the gas meter. well the a-holes at the gas dept. thought that just turning the valve off on the meter would be good enough. well the chimney knocks off the meter. gas starts coming out of the pipe. well dad the old fashion type that he is takes a plastic handled srew drive and a red rag a hammers it in to the pipe. well we call the gas company they come out dig it up at the road and cut it off like they should have in the first place. well a few weeks later we get a bill in the mail for 1500. well dad calls the gas company and they tell him that he didn't have a dig number and it was our fault. well you can guess what he told them ..... but they did still try to collect it. so it is a good idea to see what they mark

10. jbailey52

CG thats not the case.. Im not to worried about hitting cable or phone i.e. they are above ground.. my question is should I worry about gas or water by just removing the concrete, I know they need to be x feet in the ground and who knows what they are, but am i in danger of messin with these