service only

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mark B, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

How many business owners are only doing service work on irrigation systems? I'm just courious. I have been in the biz about 6 months full time and 4 yrs part time I now service only 40 accounts. I went full time on July the 19th I have only completed 4 installs. I also install landscape lighting and holiday lights for the winter months.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I primarily do service and repairs. A few install but not many.

3. ditto

4. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

84% install - 16% service (18% of business gross)

5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

We are big on service. We don't do many installs anymore because pricing is terrible and a lot of new work commercially goes to the landscape contractor if he has an irrigation license. Fortunately I built the customer base in the early years.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

My belief is that you should install systems before you service/repair them. This way you get a good knowledge of how they work to begin with. You also get to fix YOUR mistakes that you made on the job. This is how I learned. Both resi. and comm.

7. Mark B

I have another question? What type of work vechical works best for you if you do 90% service? I'm just courious. I have a 2001 dodge 4x4 with a cummins with tool boxes all the way around it I have to tell my customers to put in there ear plugs in when I drive up.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have what would work best. I have 2 4x4 p/u, one with a topper. What would work best for service is either a p/u with a utility box, or a service van.

9. Mark B

Do ya travel to do service work?? Like 1.5hrs , 30 minutes? I would like some ideas. If ya had a lot of accounts would ya travel to service them. Thanks

10. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Gonna depend on your area.

I want to be under a 1/2 hr average per stop for the day. I add a charge of 1/2 hr to each call in the form of a "service call". This is to cover prep time in the morning, clean out the truck at the end of the day and drive time. On the job time is billed as just that with a 1/2 hr minimum and 15 minute increments. If you are even 2-3 minutes into the next 15 minutes we bill for it.

Some folks will bill a 1 hr min with no extra charge and others will bill 1 hr for the first 1/2 hr then the regular hr rate. The worst case is the 1 hr min with no other charge. You may work for 50 minutes then not get paid of drive time etc and wind up only billing 2/3 of the hr really worked each day. My feeling is if I pay my guys for 9 hr I want to bill for at least 9 hr.

My method will get you 100% or more of your time paid for each day most of the time. You get days that it doesn't happen for various reasons so don't feel guilty about getting fat some days.