1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

service problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brendan Smith, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw a truck this weekend and has to laugh. painted on the side in what appeared to be interior white latex done with a paintbrush was "half grass yard service". I figured either dude has serious quality issues or a really poorly thought out business name. there was a murry rider and a god only knows push mower on the trailer which was an old pickup truck bed. all of the equipment looked like it was from the 70's. even his rake. i swear i'm going to steal the digital camera from my wife one of these days!!
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you should reconsider your opinion of him.
    I've been called out for estimates on yards that are rough, crab grass infested, sand pits with rocks and every other type crap in the yard.
    There is no way I will put my equipment on these type lawns, but, I will let my boys take it and mow with an old beat up MTD lawn tractor. Not part of my business, they have to deal direct with the boys and pay them not me.
    There actually is a bigger market of people that just want the weeds kept down on a weekly basis so they can go to their cottage or where ever for the weekend and not have to worry about the yard at either place, home or cottage. this in my opinion is johnny down the road type work that I have no desire to do since it is hard on equipment and eats up blades.
    You can't mow a place like this then go to a home with an immaculate lawn and mow with the same piece of equipment unless you are carrying spare blades and air filters.
    these type yards are he!! on equipment and engines not to mention your body from all the bumping around you get.
    The dude probably has a good thing going if hes dealing with people that just hate yard work and have no desire to ever have a perfect lawn.
  3. jklemz

jklemz LawnSite Member

I actually keep a 8 year old Exmark walk with a chariot around just for the high weed type jobs. On average I get 6 calls a year for high weed mowing. Thats when I pull out the old "nasty" equipment. And trust me I DO NOT drive my truck with the company name on it. This equipment looks poor and I don't want people to get the wrong impression (along with I don't want to make high weed mowing a strong part of my buisness). This guy is either brave or stupid thinking he can get good advertising this way!