1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

service software options??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JB926, Nov 26, 2007.

1. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

just got a price for ESN 9.0 buisness software 2K. I had no idea software was that much anyone know if this is about right and what software do you all use. I looked at the ESN website and I havent seen better software for multiple truck service companys. Let me know what everyone else is using and how much?
  2. I'd like to know as well. Can you give a link for ESN? I'll google and see what I find.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You dorks amortize all this ho-ha? Crew lead is responsible for field tally,
    laptop or whatever, I would still take a yellow pad with parts & what was done.
  4. Saves paperwork and increases billing time. Keeps a record of the work. Auto spit out reminder cards. Keep track of employee billing hours. Determine profit margins. Still write up the final invoice but can put a lot of stuff on autopilot. Need to keep the good customers on the calendar for future service. If we grow by one more service guy I'll be buried between service and paperwork. Payroll and taxes used to be a half day headache for me. now it is a five minute job with everything done by direct deposit. Invoicing and setting recurring service checks can be the same way.
  5. Mike Leary

If the crew forgot a valve or a I-20 or two, would your fancy software
    spot it?
  6. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

No it won't. You have to trust you tech to include it. You can forget to write down the item too on your paper. If your worried about it, just do the work yourself and don't grow past one employee.

We have to type out descriptions of what is done on every job for history \ warranty, which is sent back to the office. The S.M. reviews its before he bills it and he can call the tech if there is a question.

Not trying to be an ass on this one, but you can look at it both ways. One way will work better for one person and not the next. I just think it would be nuts to have to sort through the paper work of 100's service calls a week when you can have it on the computer right away. We don't list individual parts in our inventory (like a 1" M.A. or a 1" coupler; it is listed as 1" fitting = The price is figured out to be a high average so it all works out price-wise). It comes in handy for billing when you have a few thousand winterizations to do.
  7. Mike Leary

If I lost one fitting, i'd be thinking my biz was losing.:nono:
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

fitting, fitting, who's got the fitting
  9. When I was a lone ranger with little paperwork set up as a sole proprietorship keeping it simple made sense. Now just between two service crews I spend way too much time doing paperwork. I am my company's greatest asset and having me bogged down with paperwork is counter productive. Hiring somebody to do paperwork isn't the best answer especially when it can largely be put on autopilot. Take a part-time salary of say 18,000 for someone to help with office stuff. Use that instead to set up something similar to what Zman describes. Then hire a dispatcher and I can spend my time selling upgrades, keeping the calendar full, teaching newbies, handling customer issues, helping the other techs with the tough problems. I could easily expand by another service tech but not having a system to handle the extra paperwork keeps me from it. Plus Zman's method can help avoid the overhead of real estate or at least reduce it to a small office.