Service station air compressor for ztr tire?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SouthernYankee, Dec 5, 2006.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I popped my front tire off my Gravely ztr yesterday and I was wondering if a service station compressor will get it back on the rim? thanks

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

yeah they usually have big compressors and if you dont have one or another option its worth a shot but it wont be easy becuase i always like taking the tire guarge filler off and just putting the air fitting over the valve stem and shooting that thing with air

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If your speaking of those coin operated machines, Not a chance unless you can get the bead started back on by hand.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Got a big Sears air compressor a couple years ago and now can't imagine how I did without it. Need the big daddy compressor to put those big tires back on. We carry one of those little tanks with air on every trailer...seems like something is going flat constantly.

5. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

get some rope and tie it around the middle of the tire so it is pushing the sides tight around the rim then fill with air or you can go the exciting way and pour a little gas around the rim and in the tire and throw a match at it. id try the rope trick first though

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

DO NOT USE GAS! Get a bottle of lighter fluid (as the kind you would fill a refillable cigarette lighter with).

7. wasmeneh

wasmeneh LawnSite Member

If you have a wratchiting (sp) tie down you can use one og those in place of the rope to get the beads to seat. Just wrap the iie down around the circumfrance of the tire and tighten until the bead hits the edge. Fill with ait and loosen the tie down. Worked for me.

8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

starter fluid works better. Use the flame thrower to light the fluid inside tire