Service vehicle besides van or truck?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Desertdweller, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

Do any of you that do strictly lighting use anything else besides a van or truck? I'm setting up a light truck and won't drive a van. I've used a Tahoe before doing irrigation service and see a lot of companies using the Scion or similar. Any ideas?

2. JC Lighting

JC Lighting LawnSite Member

I use a Dodge Grand Caravan. It has two sliding doors, one on either side and the typical rear access gate. I can access everything from outside the van. Unlike the pickup truck I used in the beginning, I can leave the van and lock everything up inside and don't have to worry about the rain. I removed all the back seats, used a sheet of 4 x 8 plywood and a few 2x4's to create a false bottom bed. I place all my small tools, connectors, attachments items, lamps, drills etc. in 7 labeled see-thru plastic boxes with flip lids (bought at Costco 5 years ago). I keep post hole digger, shovels, rakes, extra pvc conduit (10 feet long since I slide them down the middle of the 8 foot bed and the extra two feet go between the two front seats.) I lay my Little Giant knockoff ladder on top of the boxes. I still have plenty of room for extension chord spool, several 500' spools of wire and a couple of 5 gallon utility buckets. When working on a large back yard I hand truck the boxes to the back yard and leave them there during the duration of the job.

Jim C.

3. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

We use trailers. I couldn't imagine not using a trailer just due to the ease of it and you can set it up exactly how you want it. They're cheap, you can put everything in there without it getting all cluttered up and you can get it lettered up and make it really stand out.

4. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

We use trucks with trailers as well. the big reason is you can tow a trailer with different vehicles and keep going. When your truck or van is down, you are down.

5. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Tommy, with all that gear on, you can just walk to the site.

6. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Tommy has the trailer with the magnetic stickers on it. He will be wiring up a transformer and the Antelope emergency scanner will report a hostage situation downtown. He simply removes the magnetic Geek logos from the trailer and underneath is the City of Antelope SWAT-Mobil command Center. He just rolls to the incident. No one can believe how incredibly fast his response times are, but he and his crew are always ready and willing to take command when they are needed and if someone is in crisis. Oh my Gosh, that just gives me a flippin good idea. Tommy, you should market yourself with a SLAT mobile command center sticker on your trailer somewhere on your trailers - SPECIAL LIGHTING AND TACTICS unit. When people see you guys all geeked up in your 5/11 gear, it would fit perfectly. "Protecting the community from inferior and ugly Lighting".

7. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

I've thought of a trailer but would like a shorter one with drawers that can open up almost like a tool or tackle box. Anyone seen anything like this?

8. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Tommy isnt responding right now becuase he is actually on the phone with the printer as we speak. :laugh:

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

A Scion? :laugh: Seriously?

I worked out of a rented Astro van a few years ago when a truck was totalled and I was trying to decide on a new one... I kinda liked it.

10. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

I have a trailer. I love it. I think it is the way to go for all the reasons Tommy said and one more reason I never thought of until it was a problem. Most of the time if I am at a work site there isn't a public restroom around.:cry: The trailer works great for a private place to go in a cup or bucket. :rolleyes:
    ~Ned