Service work rate?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rotor-Man, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Anyone care to say what they are charging for service and repair work on existing systems in their neck of the woods? Hourly rate plus travel fee and parts costs?

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

$30 to come to the door plus
    $60/hr with a .5 hr min, 15 minute increments after that, for any part of the 15minutes its all rounded up to the full 1/4 hr

parts vary from list to double my cost depending
    some stuff that people shop for like a pvb or controller I sell for less than list as it tends to bring new clients in the door. Since they are a big ticket item so to speak you still make good $$$ of a single unit.

3. $60 to show up, which includes the 1st half hour of labor.

$60 per hour after that.....billed in 15 min. increments.

therefore if there for 45 minutes it will cost $60 + $15 or $75

Parts, much like HB.....1/2 inch pvc fittings are $1.00

Other big ticket items not as much.

Also, everybody that we do work for and use glue or teflon gets charged a supplies charge of $5

If we have to break out the torch and solder.....supplies charge of $7.50

Valve locates...$75 for 1st valve.......regular labor rate for rest

4. HBFOXJr

oh yeah $3 misc supplies

valves located by the reg hr rate

5. Wick

Wick LawnSite Member

Wow, I wish the market would bear those prices around here.

$45.00/ hr with a 1 hr min. charge. Time rounded to the nearest 1/2 hr.

Parts simular to the other guys.

6. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been thinking about what some of these other guys are doing. I like the idea of having a min payment for 1/2hr maybe $55.00 for that then after every hour it is $50.00 per hr. My question is do most companies have a 1 man crew or 2 man crew? I like to have a 2 man crew myself. I do charge real close to retail on my parts that was a big mistake when I first started up. But you learn as ya go.

7. One man crew for service work

If needed a second man can join up at twice the rate.

I also have a 2 man install crew for the larger repairs and installations.

8. HBFOXJr

You don't get it because you don't ask for it. I find it difficult to believe in high priced New England that rates are not equal to our NJ rates or higher.

I have new people call all the time for service. We tell them up front even if they don't ask, how and how much we charge for labor. And rarely does anyone balk. It's when can you come?

People LOVE their lawns and landscapes. They are upset when they can't water. Peace of mind and satisfaction are worth a lot aren't they?

Here the avg good tech with years of experience makes in the upper teens of dollars plus benefits. Stack the other wage taxes and insurances on that, plus overhead, plus equip like a truck and diagnostic tools and maintaining inventory the cost to keep a good man is in the $40's/hr before you add any profit. And you gotta try and make at least $10+ per hr profit before any money made on parts.

Even working by yourself you should charge that much. Why not make a bundle on what people want. They drive big cars, big vacations, big houses etc. Help yourself. It's there for the asking. And if yopu grow your gonna need that amount anyhow so yiou might as well condition them now.

9. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

good points Harold........

you also have to consider irrigation is a seasonal business.....your trying to live for 12 months off of 8 or 9 months of income......

10. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you guys writing off all of this free advise? Harold and Tony if you guys added up all of your responses to my posts I would owe you big.