servicemagic.com

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by shane mapes, Feb 2, 2008.

1. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

i've been wanting to try servicemagic.com to see if it will help with my lco. i have read threads on this site , but i wanted to find out currently from you guys what you think. i have already talked to a rep. and he claims no set-up fees and no contract. basically can stop at any time. i would like your input... thanks in advance

2. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got no experience with Service Magic, but I'm gonna check em out.

I've been using Superpages with great results. But there is a year contract with them.

3. MowHouston

Update: While going through my profile set up, I see there is a $99 activation fee:

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE $99 US ACTIVATION FEE

One time charge for screening, processing and activating account
    Only charged if account is approved
    Transmission of billing information is protected by a secure server"

4. shane mapes

i was told that it would be waived because he has been trying for a year to sign and said that i would only be charged for leads..hopefully true.

5. MowHouston

Yeah. I wouldn't doubt them doing that to get you on board.

I had a website optimization company approach me asking me to sign up for their services for $550 down and $100/mo.

When I told them I don't have the money for it (an obvious excuse) they said they would take $50 off of the initial fee and give me 2 months free if I signed up -that- day. haha.

I haven't found anything on there about how much it is for leads though. Any info on that yet?

Also having trouble with them accepting my card for some reason. Says my card number isn't valid and it is... Probably gonna have to talk to a human to get that fixed. Ah well.

6. shane mapes

the rep. stated that leads are from $5.00- $12.00 per lead . the $12.00 lead is for exact lead and the other is for someone n the ball park as to what i do. i'm mostly a mow and go so i would assume that all my leads will be $12.00..

7. MowHouston

Hey Shane, I just got a call from my assigned rep and had him explain everything to me so I understand the deal now.

I couldn't get him to waive the $99 fee for anything other than if I referred 5 people to ServiceMagic.com hehe.

He says that $99 goes towards the application process as well as the "web site" that they set up for you. (Which is where they direct your leads to) He says it is important that you have pictures of your work and stuff like that on your website.

You're right, its $12 per lead for lawn maintenance. They basically match the customer up with the contracter, but, they will match any given customer with up to two more contractors other than yourself. So when you do get a lead, you better respond fast and hope you're better than the other guy.

I asked him the percentage of leads in the lawn care industry that actually turn into customers and he said it would be at least 1 out of every 5 customers. Given that, you might be paying $60 to get one customer.

So if that customer turns out to be a $30 weekly lawn, that has paid for itself in about two weeks or so.

I dunno. I would have to test it out to see how well it works. I mean, they're still in business since 1998, but for me, it seems (for now) that Superpages is a better solution for me. I spend about $240-260/mo to advertise online with them and that lands me about 10-15 new customer per month during the growing season and about 5 per month Nov-February.

Service Magic might work out for you since you are in a smaller city. Least you could do is give yourself a budget of $60 for the month, let 5 leads come in, and see how many of them convert into customers. If it doesnt work out, then at least you know it doesnt.

Good luck.

8. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Waste Of Money!!!!

9. MowHouston

You've used Servicemagic.com?

10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used them and 2 other ones just like them with a little different programs, but one thing was consistent. The leads we got were not very strong and cost us WAY too much for a cold lead. Not to mention that they give the leads to 3-4 contractors in their network.

So, for $150 a month you can get 9-11 leads that they will give to 3-4 contractors.
    Keep in mind that all those 9-11 leads will not be good for your company, but you still have to pay for them.

If I remember right, that was ServiceMagic's program, but I may be wrong. They may have had the other one:

Leads cost between $14-60 each (depending on job size) and they are still cold leads and, more often than not, tire kickers.

I have heard positive references from guys that are only doing fertilization, like Tru-Green and Scotts, but that's about it.