Servicemaster selling out

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sprayboy, Mar 19, 2007.

1. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

wow that sure was a costly buy out

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm...It will be interesting to see what kind of changes are in store.

4. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

they do lawns and pest control?! i thought servicemaster here in MI is like a cleaning company

5. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

they own trugreen, terminix, and merry maids

its in the first paragraph of the article

6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

are best bet is they screw it up and true green falls out of the market we all would live a little higher on the hog

7. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think that is correct. As bad as they are at their service, they give us something to measure ourselves against (however easy that may be). They also create a market for us. An entire market of folks who, under different circumstances, might not get their lawn fertilized at all, but now they know they want a better alternative- US!

Or we'll all get rich overnight. Either one. I don't know.

8. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, that's not what I though it was going to be at all. I had heard TG/CL was for sale. Wonder if the new owners will still try to peddle them, or do something different with them at all. Time will tell. Like Turfscape said, they've probably done more for the small owner/operated fert. companies than anyone or anything else we have to help us.

9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

T/G Chemlawn has been marketing in my area hard this spring. They hit the circulars and for the first time I got some lit in the mail today.

They are a marketing machine for sure. I have gotten a bunch of customers both tree and lawn from unsatisfied T/G customers.

I dont know if this is good or bad b/c they surely raise awareness and probably do gather a lot of customers that did not want or realize the benefit of the services we provide.

It seems fairly easy to sell a T/G customer on a better, higher priced service from the "local guy" once they realize that the are just a juagernaut(sp?)

10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

if the king of cheap is out the then real profit based pricing will be an easier sell