Services Per Season

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Stars & Stripes Landscaping, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

Stars & Stripes Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

The main question is this, come fall what services do you specialize in? Come Spring, what do you specialize in?

Spring : Thatching, PreEmergents, Spring Cleanup, Mulch Bed Prep
    Summer : Steady mowing, weeding/feeding, mulch
    Fall : Fall Cleanup

I'm sure I'm missing things, I would love to take suggestions and if I mentioned something at the wrong period.

2. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Spring: cleans ups, pre-emergent
    Summer: mowing, fert/squirt and other things
    Fall: clean ups and sometimes aeration
    Winter: plowing

3. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

from CT

The main reason I ask is to get a firm understanding on what gets done when.

4. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't been in business for a full season yet so take it with a grain of salt.

Spring- cleanups and early mowing, planting, mulch, light hardscaping
    Summer- Mostly mowing with as much mulch and light hardscaping as I can get
    Fall- Aeration, cleanup, final mows, gutter cleaning

Eventually I will plow in the winter but with my work schedule I can't commit to it yet. Pruning and trimming takes place throughout the year as different plants require pruning at different times of the year.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I time things according to the weather, currently... In the context of August the current weather is in the 90's and DRY... it is expected to remain in the 90's until Friday,,, with the only rain, coming from heat generated T-Storms...

That tells me that I do NOT want to Squirt&Fert anything at the moment... Fall renovations will continue to be 'Put Off' until the weather pattern changes for the better, but this time in the Context of September...

It is unusual for us to get opportunity to start the Fall fertilizer in August, but we had such mild temperatures in the first half of August that I got it down and washed in B4 the Heat Wave, so there is little chance of N burn or forced top growth during this time...

For cool-season grasses you want the majority of your fertilizer put down between now and Winter...
    Check this out for the most important info about 'Timing':
    http://turfdisease.osu.edu/turf-disease-updates/benefits-late-fall-fertilization

6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Spring: Cleanups, mulch, mowing
    Summer: Mulch, mowing
    Fall: Leaves, mowing, gutters,aeration
    Winter: Relax, snow removal

7. Ormond32176

Ormond32176 LawnSite Member

Spring: Mow
    Summer: Mow a lot
    Fall: Mow
    Winter: Mow a little less

8. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

from CT

Thanks for the feedback, I think this will help when it comes time for marketing & advertising as far as knowing when to send flyers out for certain services.

9. Orange landscaping

Orange landscaping LawnSite Member

I've found flyers are most effective for spring and fall and send them out twice for each season. Don't cheap out on flyers either a professional appearance goes a long way and is worth the extra cost. Where in ct are you out of?

10. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

from CT

Up north outside of Springfield.