1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sunny, Nov 7, 2003.

1. sunny

sunny LawnSite Member

I have already began tryin to gather more commercial accounts for 2004. I have already gained three more decent sized accounts so far, but I have encountered some of the same questions and concerns from the land owners or property managers. The main question being- what services will you provide for the set maintenance fee? Example being: When the leaves start to fall, do you charge extra over the normal mowing fee, or do you charge the same until a "full blown" leaf clean-up is required. What services do you folks include in your maintenance, and when is it time to charge extra? Do you "throw in" some services for a good paying, reliable account? I would love to hear any suggestions or examples.
  2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask them what they want included, design your offer around what they want.

Ask to see previous contract from company they were pleased with, use it to go back to step one.

Ask what their budget is for the services they want.
  3. Are these the same thing? If your clients believe "maintenance" means "mowing the grass" then sure leaves would be extra. Especially in your area where you probably have a lot of leaves.

I find most property managers to be very vague and ambiguous when it comes to what all is included in their lawn care. It's their job to get what they can for the least cost to their company.

I try to make it clear that the basic lawn maintenence agreement includes mowing and trimming all sod areas.
    Other services are available at added costs.
    OR they can opt for a more comprehensive lawn care package that would include shrub bed maintenance, tree pruning leaf mulching or whatever their anticipated needs may be.

I'm also cautious about giving away extra services too.
    Worse of all would be they would be unappreciated.
    Second worse would be they go unnoticed.
    Third worse would be that I wouldn't get proper credit.

My general rule of thumb is to spend as much time promoting, bragging about and documenting the free service as the time it took to perform the task.:D

4. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

My agreements state exactly whats included in each section.
    mowing includes
    mowing all areas
    edging drives,walks and beds
    trimming all areas not reachable by mower/blowing off of clippings

Same for spring & fall clean ups etc.
    whats listed is what it includes, anything other is extra and they can get a quote on it. i try to make everything clear upfront and leave no gray areas. I always encourage opinions and questions from the customer.