Servicing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Apr 24, 2000.

1. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

How often do you guys service your equipment?<br>Particularly riders. I sevice the Kubota <br>every 50 hours.(oil change,ect.)<br>Do you wash/clean your gear?<p>Karl<br>

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I wash and clean mine! Put bleachwhite on my tires to get the grass stains off, steel wool the stainless and clean all the seats. Spray degreaser on the engines, under the seats in the hydro area and hose off. My stuff looks good and hopefully I can continue to maintain it. I see others that NEVER clean their trucks, trailers, or equipment and their work looks just as bad. I cnange oil and filters every 50 or so also. Matter of fact, today sounds like a good day to do just that since it's finally raining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1<p>Homer

3. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

homer,sounds like you`re having bad weather today like we are<br>dave

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I do some of the service items every day. for instance I grease blade spindles, caster bushings and front wheel axles every day. clean air filter pre-cleaner and element every week. more often if mulching leaves. change oil at about 50 hours.<p>GEO

5. Alan

Alan Member

I try to clean decks every night, especially in the spring. Same goes for casters and spindles, grease them daily. Oil and oil filters are a different story. I run synthetic oil and go about 400 hours between changes with a filter at half that interval.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have any ZTRs (yet) but I do have 3 WBs. I change the oil in them every two weeks and the oil filters every other oil change regardless of hours. My machines work very hard and make me money so two bucks every other week isn't too much to ask.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Some mowers require more frequent greasing than others, at least the ones I've had. I grease each 25 hours, change oil every 50 hours and change oil and filter every 100 hours. DC says 50, 100, and 200, so I figure twice as often has to be better. Previous mowers I had needed daily greasing in some areas, such as gage wheels. I washed the mud off of mine today after the week we had last week. It looks new again, but I didn't get the Stainless Steel steel wooled Homer. Maybe next time. <br>One thing that I credit to long engine life for me is that I use Tufoil additive in my oil and I have for 10 years now. It makes engines run 42% cooler, which extends engine life a lot. On 90 degree and above days, we need all the help we can get. I even use it in my diesel motor, and all 4 cycle engines.<br> <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

8. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I oil and filter my walker every 50 hrs.I do have a pressure washer but do not have it set up yet.The only problem with the pressure washing is the odd time you will blow off a sticker.I have done that a couple of times.

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Eric,<br> We don't have Tufoil here.Is Slick 50<br>the same sort of thing. I was thinking about<br>using it.It seems very pricey.<p>Karl<br>

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Karl, Slick 50 is sort of the same, but not nearly as good. I buy it by the gallon and use it in everything, as I said. A gallon lasts me about 2 years and cost $125, plus they give you 2 8oz. bottles. $125 sounds pricey, but over 2 years, that's $5.00 a month and if it saves one engine, it will save out hundreds to thousands, depending on what engines you run.<p>The goverment here does a 4 ball bearing test under presure to test oil and additives. They put the additives on the bearings and start turning them under presure til they start smoking. The top 25 additives were tested and the longest any of them lasted was 13 minutes, including Slick 50. The Tufoil lasted 16 days before it smoked. A big difference. Tufoil is in the Guiness Book of Records. I even use it in my hydraulic oil in my mowers, but don't use it in an Automatic Transmission, it's to slick for that. If anyone is interested in reading about it or ordering it, www.tufoil.com<p><br>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p>