1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Set-Up for an F150

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by keeman, Jan 26, 2010.

1. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

It's not steep at all. Those are 8ft ramps with an arch. If you flip over that stander going up those ramps you don't belong on one in the first place.

2. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Found summer pic, lol
    [​IMG]

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I like that setup. If you plan your routes right a pickup with racks and ramp would be better than a trailer.

The only nit I have with your setup is the ramp isn't as wide as the box. I guess if it were mine I'd widen it out. When it is latched on both sides it would also beef up the pickup box.

4. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Another alternative is to stretch the frame of a truck. I'm not sure about stretching a half ton truck, but 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are stretched on a regular basis by a company less than 200 miles from where I live. I have kept the long driveshafts from 2 long 80s F350s I parted out in case I decide to stretch my F250.

5. LindblomRJ

It doesn't increase your payload capaticity. The frame is a major structural and safety system of a vehicle. Messing with a has all sorts of implications.

As far as driveshafts... Once the project is to that point a machine shop will build and balance a drive line real easy.

6. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

I gather you had that ramp custom built??

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I agree !!

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Shepoutside -- I see that you have 2 Sutech 33" machines ... I've never seen anyone with 2 of those before now !! What's the deal with that ... why is it that you need 2 of them !!

9. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a "heavy duty" F250 like mine the added weight from the truck stretch will not be too much to bite into the trucks gross vehicle weight rating. The added square feet will be of great benefit. My F250HD weighs around 5100 with me and gas in it. Its gvwr is 8600.

10. LindblomRJ

You missed the point about making sure you have a welder or shop that will make sure every thing stays true and sqare. For the money spent that would go a ways towards a already built 1 ton with an 11 foot bed already set up. :rolleyes: