1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Set up of Power Rake

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Airwave, May 6, 2008.

1. Airwave

Airwave LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Not sure if it is right section. Anyway weather here is great in Ireland so we are big into doing lawns again this year. I have a landpride power rake and am delighted with it. Only thing is I just cant seem to get the right setting on it am never really happy. I was wondering what procedure you guys use for raking behind a tractor. Do you ever use the floating connection also the height of the castor wheels seems tricky as they really seem to dig in hard into the soil at times. I would have hoped that after 2 years with this thing i would have had it figured out but no.. Also do you ever use the side pods to keep the soil and stone in.

So in short if anyone has a spare couple of mins would love to hear what settings they use and then how they go about doing the lawns setting wise.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ps: We have a lot of stone on our lawns and i mean a lot am thinking of buying a stone burier as it is harder and harder to get rid of stone onsite. So if you have any recommendations on which burier to use...
  2. Airwave

Airwave LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Not a single reply? Wow I should have asked if anyone new a good bed edger, I would have been in-undated with replies lol. Only messing i guess everyone does it their own way. Just to add to above point I was wondering if anyone had any help on set-up or proper way to do a steep enough slope. I just find I know I can angle the rake slightly with the caster wheels and 3 point hitch but that is ok if slope was fully rounded but it isn't.

I wish I could write short notes cant seem to help myself and write long notes.

Thanks again in advance.

Now back to looking at stone buriers as we took of over 3 full size skip loads of stone from an acre lawn just ridiculous. Need to find a stone burier that is built with heavy gauge metal so it will last.. any ideas
  3. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I would help you but I have one for a skid steer. Never used one on a 3 point hitch. Post a few pics of your set up and maybe some of us can get a better idea and help you out alittle better.
  4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have two harleys for my mini and full size skid, but I also have about 100 hours experience on a L4330.

Here is what I do. The first pass I let the roller bite in till up the ground. Don't really have the castors on the ground. Then the second pass I make sure the wings are on pointed toward the tractor. Then I try to put weight on the castor wheels that way the roller doesn't bite in as the tractor dips. The first I just try to do a leveling pass... moving dirt. Then the second pass I try to just skim the surface and pull all the debris to one side of the lawn. I try to have the roller touching just enough to pull the debris. Then scoop up the debri and dump it in the woods or the truck. Hope this helps.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

how is life on the rock?????? i can help u i have one and used it today:)
    i use mine with the links on the tractor in the float and i then lift it off the ground and adjust the links so that it lifts even and go from there.

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I do not run a biz anything like yours, so no help of advice there.... but... I'm a died in the wool Irish American, play some fiddle, love Irish music (along with everything else in Irish culture) and must get back to Doolin again sometime soon! Roscommon is my ancesteral home... where ya from? Sorry for the hijack....
  7. Airwave

Airwave LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Ahhh my faith has been restored lol. Yeah I guess our lawns here are very different to over in the US just with the amount of stone we have. I have now started using a landleveller on site first. Which has helped somewhat as when we tried to level with rake it just dropped stone in the dips which does not help. So will see on our next lawn when we level all first and then start raking 2 years now in doing this and I just never come of site 100% satisfied. Hopefully be testing out some stone buriers in the next few weeks see if that will help.

Ireland is great I am based in Monaghan small town called Carrickmacross about an hour from Dublin Airport. Not into the irish music myself although my 2 yr old daughter seems to like it so I may get used to it.