1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stuffdeer, Dec 21, 2006.

1. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Fill in the Blanks with what you would choose for 30 or so Residentials.

1. Gravely 44z
    2. Gravely 34" WB

2. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

1. Gravely 44z
    2. Gravely 34" WB

1. Stihl fs80r

1. Wb Little wonder deluxe / stick, Stihl fc110

1. Redmax eb7001
  3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Fill in the blanks

Go _____ yourself.

Buy a vowel.

G_ f_ck y_ _rs_lf.

Seriously, just kidding. In fact, I wish I asked those same questions when I started out and bought the crappiest residential equipment money couldn't buy. That's what makes this site so great.

I have to say this though, I bought a residential cub cadet from home depot to allow the lackies a chance to do whatever they wanted with and practice for the newbies and this POS has turned out to be the favorite. I haven't had a single hiccup from it to date.

Trimmers....same thing, the most expensive echo trimmer from home depot has been unstoppable. I myself like the Robins backpack blowers...they are made by Subaru.

Edger, save your money and do it manually, looks great and with some practice, you can use a trimmer to keep it looking good.

Good post.
  4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Trimmer: RedMax bcz2600s ~$300 great allaround trimmer and powerfull enough if it the grass is thick and wet or you need to wack some brush.

Edger: RedMax straight shaft for small side walks or Little Wonder Deluxe WB edger for sidewalks and bed edgeing ~$450.

Blower: Backpack definitly. RedMax ebz5000 ~$450 Great balance of comfort, power, and fuel economy and low noise level (65dba) also is strato charged.

I've been satisfied with all my RedMax tools.
  5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

This doesn't include the Gravely's but here is what I want to run over 30 lawns next season:

44" Dixon ZTR w/bagger
    *33" TB Widecut
    21" Deere (assuming I cant trick anyone into buying it)
    21" Toro

old Deere
    *Echo (unsure which model though)

Stihl FC75

Stihl BG85

The stuff with * is stuff I don't have. It will have to come latter in the season though, if at all, as I will be basically broke by Mid March I think...
  6. stuffdeer

Cool Everyone.

I'm either thinking of buying new hand held stuff.

And continue using my Cub. Its doing good, but have encountered aproblem.

The right cylinder isn't firing. This is the third problem I've had with the kawasaki engine. It only ha 30 hours on it.

I got to get it back to the shop.
  7. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Gravely 44z
    2. Gravely 34" WB

1. STIHL FS 110

1. STIHL FC 110

1. STIHL BG 85 Hand Blower
    2. STIHL BR 550 BP Blower

8. stuffdeer

Bump, anyone else?
  9. robknasel

robknasel LawnSite Member

Here is my opinion. Hope this doesnt come off the wrong way. You get what you pay for when it comes to lawn equipment. Really. I can say anytime I have bought something for the price and not for the capability or quality for my business I have regretted it. Ok here is what I recommend. If you have the funds and have made money in the past, take a risk and invest in some professional equipment.

TORO 36" T-BAR 15HP Gear Drive $2900

This is not necessary for residential unless your doing estates or 1 acre yards.

TORO Z560 60" 30HP Kohler Turbo Force $8300

For handheld trimmers.

Stihl BG85 String Trimmer

Stihl Sidewalk Edger (Yes you do need this dont be fooled, this tool gets results fast)

Stihl Handheld blower. (If doing leaves then the BG600)

And the list goes on. But this is the minimum. I have been in the business for 5 years now and I have learned my lesson no more compromising on equipment. If you know there is a better tool out there get it, dont settle and dont waste you money on Cub Cadet residential. Have a buddy that has a CUB CADET Tank, he seems to like it, but why? it wasnt that much cheaper than my TORO, so once again why? Cub Cadet is owned by MTD, and these days they are the furthest from lawn care professional tools. Hope I dont hurt your feelings, but if you want to look at a simple fact , just look at the RPM's that your blades turn. Good Luck.

10. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Toro 48 T-bar w/ bull rider
    Quick 36
    (Depending on lot size)

Echo SRM 261T
    Echo PAS 260

Attachment for PAS 260
    PE- 260
    Little Wonder WB

9 hp honda force wb blower
    Echo PB- 755