Sethoxydim vs metsulfuron (Manor) for Bahia in Centipede

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FarmerCharlie, Jun 26, 2013.

1. FarmerCharlie

FarmerCharlie LawnSite Member

My lawn is about 4 acres of mostly centipede with some areas of common Bermuda. Lately I have noticed some Bahia seed heads--especially in the centipede areas. There is also some crab grass in a few small areas (especially over the septic tank field lines). I had planned to use Sethoxydim in the centipede areas, but my herbicide dealer suggested using Manor. Based on reading several articles, it looks like Manor might be a better choice, since it is OK in bermuda grass.

I mowed it today to try to remove the bahia seed heads before they mature. I plan to apply the herbicide in a week or so.

I would appreciate any recommendations on both the best choice and on the timing.

Thanks,
    Charles

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I would use the metsulfuron since it is compatible with the bermuda. I'm assuming you don't want to eliminate it. I've had good success with this knocking bahia. Can't use too high a rate on centipede though and keep in mind it's getting hot and dry at least where I am. It actually would have been better to hit it earlier in the year before going to seed head and the tougher conditions I mentioned.

3. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sethoxydim...NO NO NO NO NO!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. FarmerCharlie

FarmerCharlie LawnSite Member

I might like to get rid of the Bermuda later, but right now my priority is the bahia and crab grass. Since it is getting late in the season, I'm wondering if I should wait until next year and just focus on frequent mowing for now to try to reduce the bahia seeding.

5. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

celsius will get it.

6. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I was thinking. I buy it in the bottle that will cover about 2 acres and it's $85.