setting blade heigth on exmark walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redmax fan, Jul 9, 2008.

1. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

weve 4 exmark walk behinds , they all have the adjustable front wheel heights that utilize re arrangement of washers . but when you re arrange the washers it tilts the deck upward or downward . so we dont like the deck sitting tilted and to adjust blade height we add or subtract washers above or below the blade on the spindle bolts under deck . this is how weve been functioning the entire 8 years ive been doing lawns , weve never asked anyone or read up on it . so im wondering if anyone could give me a quick education on the matter of setting the heights on the exmark walk behinds .
    the do's , the donts , the whys .

2. redmax fan

bump --------

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark Viking, 36" deck. After some experimenting long ago, I decided the best blade setup was to use two washers on the top of the spindle bolt, two washers below (between blade and spindle).

For day-to-day adjustments, I only change the spacers on the caster spindles. I run three different setups, two spacers above and two below, one spacer above and three below, no spacers above and four below. To be sure, the deck pitch changes when making these changes. I have never found the quality of cut to be altered when making these changes. For me, the quality of cut has always been good (much better than other brands of mowers that mow other properties next door), so have never put any credibility in the discussions regarding exact deck pitches.

I change those spindle spacers often during the day, many time changing them once or twice while mowing a specific property. My only complaint is the grease around the washer and the spacers. I run the spindle casters pretty dry -- a shot or two of grease weekly.

The only time I change the washers on the spindle bolt is when I'm knocking down an overgrown area. I want to get the mowing height as high as possible, so I change the washers on the bolt, putting them all on top, moving the blade as high as possible under the deck. This is done on very rare occasions, and only as an extreme measure to get an extra-ordinary cutting height.

Personally, I think all the talk about having exact deck pitch is of little value. I have to admit my Exmark Viking is the only w/b mower I've used, so perhaps it is important for other mowing decks. But, for the Viking, I don't think it makes any difference with these minor adjustments.

4. redmax fan

excellent , thanx for the advice roger .