1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Setting calibration for the lesco spreader?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lorensanders, Apr 10, 2006.

1. lorensanders

lorensanders LawnSite Member

Does anyone know what is the proper calibration setting for bermuda grass to fertilize in spring for the lesco spreader?
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the label say? what product?
  3. lorensanders

lorensanders LawnSite Member

i just thought there was an appropriate number it was suppposed to be set on...for fertilizing......in spring and summer.......
  4. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a clue as to what the hell you are doing?
  5. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

Read the bag it should tell you.
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

fert comes all sorts of sizes, shapes and strengths. one setting for one fert like Milorganite wont work with another fert with larger particles. you need up putting down different rates. And rates are important. Why. Too much fert and you burn. Not enough N and you are just taking money from your clients.

Lesco spreaders come with calibration gage's, and on the bag of lesco fert it will show what gage setting to use for that particular formula.

just because you and 14-14-14 from lesco, does not mean that the same setting from the lesco 14-14-14 will be the same for the scotts, or vigoro. as the particle size may change.

as it is lesco has 122 different product for turf grass ferts with are poly coated.

here is some good reading. but to cliff note it...

In general, two weeks following spring regrowth, apply a complete fertilizer such as 16-4-8 at the rate of ½ (water-soluble) to 1 (slow-release) pound of nitrogen per 1000 square feet. The three numbers refer to the percentages of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, respectively. For example, a 50-pound bag of 16-4-8 contains 16% nitrogen or 8 pounds total nitrogen. This bag will fertilize 8000 square feet at the rate of 1 pound of nitrogen per 1000 square feet.

if you use the 16-4-8 from lesco use the gap number 18
    LESCO Rotary (80# & 100#) 18

this page works with Lesco's Product only, but gives setting for many types of spreaders.
  7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The bag should give a spreader setting. If it is a Lesco product, it will say the rate on the label. If the label is missing, you can either call the lesco rep you bought it from and have them get you the info, or you can go online to www.lesco.com and look it up there. easiest way i can think of is to look up your purchase history, and that will let you see their item number, and should have a hyperlink for a pdf. label. Hope that helps
    Oh, and Mikesturf, lay off the people asking questions. This forum is set up for people to ask questions. Not everybody is as wise to the ways of fertilizing as you obviously are.
  8. MarcSmith

But if you are going to be applying a product with out essentially reading the label or knowing what you are putting down. A bit of up front in your face "hey pull your head out of your arse and read before asking a less than educated question" has it merits.

For a change I took the high road and in a roundabout way answered the question, but its like the old saying goes. "give a man a fish he eats for a day. teach him how to fish he eats for a life time."

The question asked is much like "How do I change the oil in my mower" we could go into a diseration of fertilizer and programs ect....but we still don't have enough info to give the fellow an answer....

This site is about Q&A you are correct, but ask the smart question, and do some of of the home work for us which show sus you know what yoru doing.

I'm applying a spring fert to my bermuda, and the fert is a scotts 12-4-8, but the label does not give a setting for lesco spreaders...can anybody help...

But I digress...Loren, take a look at the uf web site I sent you too, they have a bunch of good info on bermuda...
  9. MarcSmith

btw Upidstay. nice screen name. I just got it...my fave is imadufus2
  10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Glad u liked it marc. It's from Disney's the lion king. "Who're you calling upidstay?" That and the only other language I am fluent in is pig latin. Does that make me bi-lingual?