setting correct grade for pavers???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Dunphy lawn & landscaping, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Dunphy lawn & landscaping

Dunphy lawn & landscaping LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

I'm going to be getting more into the paver walks and patios this year and I've been doing my homework on how to install them correctly.

The only question I still seem to have is what is the best/easiest way to set the correct grade for drainage for walks and patios? If I remember, it's about 1" for every 4'. Do you use string lines and measurements? Laser levels?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Find your starting height, then place your screed bars every 4', and place a 4' level across the two of them and make sure it is sloping away. if you lift up the lower end of the level... 1"....it should be perfectly level. If you really want exact place a 1" piece of wood on top of the screed bar and level that to perfect level.

3. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

1" for every 4' seems excessive...a 20' wide patio off the back of a house needs to drop 5"? I don't think so. We final grade house to local codes (1" fall over 10') and I would think a mostly impermeable surface would shed water at least that rate...1" over 10' should work fine. I could be mistaken - maybe others will disagree.

4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I build most projects with a 2% grade.

20'x12"=240"x.02= 4.8" Subtract 4.8" from the reading at the highest point and there ya go. 2% fall.

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Between 1/8" and 1/4" per foot drop is good. More than that the beer spills out of the glass.

6. Dunphy lawn & landscaping

Dunphy lawn & landscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies, I knew there had to be a simple way that I just wasn't thinking of. According to Unilock, they call for 1" every 4' to 8'. I'm gonna lean towards the 1" every 8', every 4' seemed a but much to me too, but it's what they said. I guess as long as the water runs off it's all good.

7. Jacob's Yardworks LLC

Jacob's Yardworks LLC LawnSite Member

ok so not trying to jack the thread or anything but i got a question too, what would yall recommend doing if its a raised patio? ep henry says to keep the wall part level and set the pitch on the patio inside. my problem with that is wont the high side of the patio be sticking up a couple inches over the wall and the low side be a couple inches bellow the wall? i dont know what to do here

8. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

It's called crown the center section of the patio is higher.