Setting fence post

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nolafishing, Feb 12, 2006.

1. nolafishing

nolafishing LawnSite Member

I am a wanna-be do-it-yourselfer. I would like to know how to set a metal fence post. I will be using the quick drying cement. My problem is...how do I prevent the metal post from moving while the cement around the post is setting.

2. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

I'm putting up some fencing too. If you are setting several post you might need cement on the first and last post maybe, but shouldn't need any on the others. Do they have an arrow type end?

Oh as to your question, just dig about a foot or so deep with a posthole digger then hammer the post about 6-8", then pour the mix.

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

for the middle posts i drive them in with a post driver...

the corner posts and endpost are the only ones that need to be in concrete
    take a fre cinderblocks and set them up against the post at the bottom. this will keep them from moving.

4. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

yep, just use a post driver and drive the post about 6-8'' Cement your end posts, just be careful not to move them! Hope i've helped! Make sure your using PLENTY of cement for the post that's going to be holding a gate if you have a gate. That'll be your most stressed post other than your end posts! Happy building!

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

And this is a lousy rendition of what a post driver looks like just in case you don't know.:waving:

6. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

all my post get concrete !! corner and end post holes are 24" deep and all other posts 18" deep post for gates are 24" deep just the way I do things