setting kinda accurate speed on a zero turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wpines, May 26, 2006.

1. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

is there a surefire way to set the speed on a zero, when towing a sprayer behind. I've got a 30 gallon sprayer with a 6 foot boom that I tow with my toro zero. It supposed to be rated for 9.5 mph top ground speed which i think is a stretch. I'd like to be able to go about 3,4,or 5 mph so i can calibrate, kinda close, herbicides when spraying. any good tricks you guys know? it's mostly level area.

2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

An easy way, if you have access to one, is to use a GPS unit. Most all of them compute ground speed to the 1/10mph.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

to calibrate it, I'd use GPS. But to set it, on my Ferris there are bolts in front & behind the control arms that limit how far they fan be pushed / pulled in that direction. While that is an option, what I did is got used to my machine & the correct pace & then I can hold it fairly close to what I need to.

4. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

I'll borrow a gps and try it , thanks. Which ferris dod you have? How's the suspension? I think thats my next machine. I believe the build quality on all of the major zero's is about the same so I might as well go for comfort!

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I actually have 5 Ferris mowers. I have 2 of the IS 3000's, 2 48" walkbehinds, 1 36" Walkbehind. I am going to get rid of the 48"ers & get a Wright Stander for the speed & quality of cut they do. I bought all of my mowers the year before the "IS" riders had the front suspension on them, but they have the rear suspension still which is still much better than other mowers I have demoed. I demoed the new Ferris models the beginning of the year w/ the high-back seat & they ride like a Cadilac. Make sure you get the high-back seat if you get one though. It makes a HUGE difference in the ride IMO. I think I am also going to get a diesel next time.

6. Ty Webb

Ty Webb LawnSite Member