1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Setting out dogwood trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kirk1701, Nov 29, 2008.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys,
    Partly continued from here:

I found a local tree farm where I can purchase kousa dogwood trees and decided to replace two that died on me over the summer. Problem is I'm getting the shaft from the tree farm ;)

Four weeks ago I was told they would have the tree's ready for me to pick up in a couple a days. Then I got to asking about "Warranty" and I was told if they set them out they would guarantee them to bloom in the spring so I said OK for $40 more per tree.

I've called each week, trying to get info on when they would be delivering and setting the trees out and I've got one excuse after another from it being to wet after a 1/4 inch of rain to we don't start digging up the trees till they loose their leaf's :confused:

So, thought I'd get some other opinions, am I being shafted and given a run around or am I being told the honest truth. :dizzy:
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Your totally getting the shaft. All their excuses are ludicrous. I would be calling them everyday until the delivered and set the trees.

You can spade out any tree up until the ground freezes, that goes for planting too.
  3. kirk1701

We'll, they told me this week last time I called so we shall see.

We don't get very much freezing temps here, we get the same weather as Nashville since we are on the Kentucky/Tennessee boarder so guess they have all winter.

Thing was I really wanted to decorate them for Christmas
  4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I'll be willing to bet you a hot fudge sundae that this tree farm does about 98% or so of its business to wholesale customers, like landscape contractors or other nurserymen.
    When you called the 1st time, I'll bet that the person on the other end of the line just assumed that you were "just another wholesale buyer", and they qouted you wholesale prices for kousa dogwoods.
    Later, when they discovered that you are a homeowner looking for a RETAIL-type warranty (at the previously qouted wholesale pricing), they certainly had to do something to cover their profit margin.

Legitimate wholesale nursery operations CANNOT afford to cater to the general public the same way that they do the rest of the Green Industry.
    Some wholesale nurseries have retail "divisions" that they can conveniently refer that (very profitable) segment of business to, but many others do not, or choose not to.

I recommend that you call them right now, and ask them if this is EXACTLY what happened, or not.
    If you are "direct" with a manager about this situation, I'll bet you that they'll be willing to come to some type of compromise on the warranty time line, if this manager finds that they've made sort of mistake in assuming your trade status. Be firm but cordial with them. Try to possess a spirit of "cooperation", and I'll bet you you'll get much of what you're looking for.

Please bear in mind...the main reason WHY "wholesale should be wholesale" and "retail should be retail" is the very premise of keeping legitimate landscapers / nurserymen / arborists / IN BUSINESS...and able to feed their families!!!
  5. kirk1701

I can see your point Marcos, however thats not the case because the very first time I stopped I was inquiring to just that, whether they sold to the public or not before I even asked anything else.

I was told they did sell to the public and was not till after that I went any further.
  6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Well then, as long as you're 100% certain of that, next time I'm though Bowling Green KY, I'll have to look you up & fix you up with that hot fudge sundae! :waving:

I'd go to the local affiliate of the B.B.B. if they keep jacking you around like you're saying they are.
    Or...you can at least call & threaten that you'll report them.
  7. kirk1701

See thats the thing, I don't know if I'm being jacked or not because there was never any paperwork done. After I asked if they sold to the public and got a yes for an answer the lady gave me a roll of ribon and told me to tag the trees I wanted and I was quoted a price :confused:

Since then its been one excuse after another but since there is no paper trail I've got thousands of "what if's" running through my head and now with all the excuses just confirms it but could I just been forgot about or due to them delivering them I could have been put on a list and have to wait my turn but if thats the case I would like to have been told.
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If they are going to guarantee spring blossoms they may want to make sure that the dogwoods are completely dormant b4 they plant.

I don't really follow the line about dropping all the leaves to be ready, as long as it gets enough water, but they want to be sure, I suppose.
  9. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

40 dollars more and they will plant them and add a warranty? that sounds like someone screwed up on the pricing.
  10. kirk1701

See, thats why I am thinking the lady might be telling the truth, maybe she didn't know when she told me the first time and now rather then coming out and telling me the truth she's trying to cover it up till she can deliver them.

and this has also been going through my head, the what if she is waiting till she can deliver them and keep the cash under the table, not turn it into the business or something of that nature?