Setting Retaining Wall Stone

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SCOTTJAY, Jul 6, 2004.

1. SCOTTJAY

SCOTTJAY LawnSite Member

I did several searches but cant find an answer to my question. I'll be building two seperate retaining walls soon. The walls will start at 6 ft. high and taper down to about 1 ft. and will be about 30 ft. long each. I will be using outcropping stone from Buechel Stone Corp. The heaviest stones will weigh about 900 pounds each. Would I set these with a skid steer with pallet forks? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

You could either use a skidsteer or a larger mini-excavator with a hydraulic "thumb" attachment. 900 pounds isn't too large for even a small skidsteer or mini-ex, but the overall dimensions of individual stones you are looking at might require a larger mini-ex, such as a Bobcat 337 which is capable of picking up wider stones.

Just remember to keep everything as level as you can.

And having just finished a major PITA stone job, don't try to get started until all of the stone is on site! What should have taken us less than a week to do took almost 3 weeks because of hassles with the supplier.

Hope it helps....

Dan