Setting standards in the Industry????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AGG Lawn Maintenance, Feb 28, 2002.

1. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Hey guys I need your input please. It seems like some guys are always asking how much do I charge for this or for that. Things are getting better in the industry but I think we still lack a clear-cut pricing/time standard. Now sure different markets allow or dictate our prices. But I have noticed in other industries they have price and time guidelines. Examples: National construction estimator, repair/remodeling, heating/air conditioning, mechanical, electrical and painting. I am not saying that you have to live by the book die by the book, but it would give the new guys some type of guidelines. Sure these studies would probably be done in the best conditions but you can put a thing in your contract stating weather permitting. Under other conditions such as rain snow etc. (then you put in whatever you need to such as per hour charge) I know Phil had a book the time and data handbook that everyone ripped on. I have not read it but I might pick it up. Anyway it would be nice to put together a book based on each region so we can set the standard.
    Since everyone seems to hate scrubs and or lowballers why not enlighten them??? It will only help our case. Are you with me??? Forget all that negative energy get your brain cooking and bring something positive to the table. Travis
  2. Interesting.

Out of all contractor trades ther are scubs.

Bring the standards up, yes I agree, but out of how many members here how many do you think are scrubs. Do you notice the ones who don't reply to the scrub threads?

Scrubs are going to be the lest of your worries. Any one can buy a mower and cut grass, but can they be successfull at it?

This indusrty is taking a drymatic turn and is changing for the worst no matter what 6000 people can do.

On a positive note, do what the others don't do. Provide a service all your clients tell their friends about.
  3. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Good points from the both of youse, I think that scrubs will always be weeded out, either by the IRS, by the bank repossesiong their scrub equipment, or them going flat broke by their lazy attitudes and poor work. As I've said before what goes around comes around. I personally don't worry about them, if I lose a customer to a scrub, then so be it, I didn't need them anyway.