1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Setting The Record Straight On Mailboxes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 65hoss, May 14, 2001.

1. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a customer that he is a postmaster for one area and his wife is for another. I asked him about putting flyers on mailboxes. Here is the answer from the post office:

Nothing can be put on the receptacle (mailbox)! This means nothing on the flag or taped to the box. Nothing inside either.

BUT, you can put things on the post or whatever is holding the mailbox.

He called the postmaster generals office to research this and this is the offical word from them.

Hope this helps everyone. I thought it was time to take the grey out of this question.
  2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I really didn't know that this was a grey topic.....It goes to show you how some listen to advice on this forum.
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Thanks Eric.

My Uncle is also a postmaster and I verified this also, seems you can't get this message thru to some. Someone always says they checked and it's ok, we know it's not. See if anyone post that it's ok to do so.
  4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

It is OK, til somebody hollers like a panther pi$$in', then it ain't OK:rolleyes: best to leave the mailbox to the mail man. I'd hate to be put away for trying to get some business.
  5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

There are so many rules and regulations with mail boxes. They have to be so many inches off the ground. they have to be so close to your door, unless it is a driver's route, blah blah. My uncle is also a post master, but never asked about that subject. I think homer said it. J- walking is a crime, but who is going to pursue it?
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i wonder if since the post office is a federal office, and a mail box is federal property, if you'd do hard time for putting a flyer on one? the other prisoners would just LOVE to have someone like that for a newfound "friend". :D
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I'd settle for a few fliers from time to time. In my area about this time of year there's a bunch of mailbox bashing.

I went a long time and just had it sitting on the post. they'd whack it with the ball bat and the next day I'd set it back on the post.

8. I knew of a guy who took one of those supersize mailboxes and stood it up on end then put a regular box inside with the door removed. Filled the space between the two with concrete. Let it set and mounted the whole affair.

Said he could hear the basher scream that night when he broke his wrist trying to bash that box. :dizzy:

The PO can collect all your flyers then charge you for first class delivery.
  9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

plymouthv.--OOOHHH! I would love to hear that scream!!!

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't ask, but I think there is a substantial fine involved if they push the issue.