1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Setting up a Computer network

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tinman, Apr 1, 2005.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I have a Desktop & my wife uses a Laptop. We have a netgear router & have all that set up & both of us use teh internet....hers is wireless....mine is wired.

My question is how do I set up a network where we can share files & sucH? Read some stufff I found searching Google....but not very useful.
  2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have windows XP on both computers? If so... Go to my network places and select set up a home or small business network. They ask a few easy questions and you are good. Do this on both computers. Then you right click on any folder you would like to share on the network and select sharing and security, change it to share on network. Once this is all set you can go to my network places and you will see all the shared folders there.
  3. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

widows 98 on desktop & ME onte laptop
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Just an FYI on my windows 98 its called Network Neighborhood, but basically it seems most everything else is the same.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

We had my buddy, an IT guy and supposed wiz at this sort of thing, set up the same type network for us. Sad to say, he messed it up, keeps messing it up, and I don't see him getting it right anytime soon. Beyond me why these computer geeks make $100 an hour...I guess it pays to keep screwing it up so you need them to come back...again and again. At least he screwed up ours for free... :cool2:
  6. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

The real pain in the butt for somebody that doesn't do it as a job and knows what they are doing is to try to set this up between a computer with Windows2000 Professional and an older computer with Windows 98SE. Usually, the 2000 machine can access the 98 machine, but it gets tricky trying to access the 2000 machine from the 98 machine due to 2000s user authentication.

I gave up after I had it working and then it didn't work again.
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Zip drive?

My impression has always been that setting up a network with computers running essentially the same operating system isn't too bad, but across OSs is another matter. Win 2000 and Win XP are based on the same core, but Win 98 is a different core, and one suspects that's where the hangups pile on relentlessly in the scenario you describe.

Maybe you could upgrade the desktop OS to Win 2000. These don't have to be registered the way XP does, so if you found someone who'd let you borrow their installation disk, you'd be home free. Upgrades via dial-up are a phenomenal pain, though.
  8. Katy Re-Leaf

Katy Re-Leaf LawnSite Member

Be careful, XP does not like to run two networks. unless you have a static IP your provider prob will not assign two IP's. One for wirless router and one for its own hardware. best bet is to purchase additional wireless card.
  9. vaham

vaham LawnSite Member

Two networks are not necessary to share files from 2 computers on a common router....follow the post about setting up home networks in XP, and REMEMBER the names used to name the computers and network, then go to the Win98 machines and do basically the same thing.. using the same computer and network names. Next , set up "sharing" in the properties for your respective hard drives.

\ It may require '98SE instead of basic '98 (addresses some memory leaks, I believe, in addition to stability, and networking improvements) to be compatable w/XP.. I have a 4-computer network here, one, my "print server" runs 98SE, two desktops with XP home/pro, one laptop w/ super G wireless card running xp home... works well, no worries..

OOPS, just re-read your post... Win2K is not real friendly with 98SE.... if possible , ditch inferior 2K and upgrade that machine to XP....

10. nhlakes

nhlakes LawnSite Member
    from nh

It's been years since I've used 98/me, but it should be something along the lines of:

Right click on the folder you want to share,
    select 'share', name it, don't worry about setting any protections for now...

From any folder on the other computer select Tools > Map Networkdrive, then provide the other computer's name and the name of the folder you shared (\\computername\foldername)

That's about how it works on XP, and I honestly don't recall how different 98/ME was.

Regardless, using Windows Help should make it simple enough. If you have never used networking on those systems you may be prompted for your windows cd and have to reboot. Good luck... if all else fails google 'home networking' and you'll find plenty to read...