1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Setting up my new TT23Kaw 60 in

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swim, Nov 7, 2007.

1. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Ok all of you Exmark guys. I finally bit the bullet and bought a TT.:clapping: So heres your chance to show me how to set it up so the cut will impress me. Hears my story. I have had my old Scag fixed deck for years very satisfied with it. It just has to many hours and its time to retire. It always had a good cut nothing to fuss about, just my local dealer quit caring Scag and the nearest dealer is to far away so parts are getting harder to come by. My rider has been a Hustler Super Z. It cut ok from the factory but with many hours of reading here at lawnsite I have made great strides in the cut quality. So much so that my second rider is a Hustler Super Z as well. So I have been experimenting with my new TT to get a great cut from it as well. I have read for years here how good the cut is, so maybe I was expecting to much out of the box. It does cut better than my old Scag and maybe as good as my super z, but not better. So what is the best way to set it up. I know that others have different cutting conditions, but what works best for you? So far I have used the factory high lifts, gator blades, and the mulching kit with mulching blades. Nothing bad but where is that Exmark quality of cut that I thought I was missing out on. I need opinions on the stripping kit, Is it worth the money? How about sulkies. Which one works best for you? I have my old one wheel not a Velky but similar. It is wore out and wobbles alot making it rough on my ankles and a little extra work staying balanced. I bought a new Velky 2wheel sulky I thought it was the answer. It is a little easier and not as tiring as my old one. Turns a little wider and I have to watch tripping on it when walking across step slopes, wider as well. Better but I"m not sure it is exactly what I'm looking for. How about the Proslide, Is it better? I know its alot of questions but I'm trying to get it setup this fall so I'll be read to go in the spring.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of grass are you cutting? Mostly Southern or Northern types? How high are you mowing.

I don't know that there is as great a difference in cut with the mowers you have mentioned in Southern grasses. When you get into the fescue and bluegrass sometimes cutting 3.5 inches or so you should notice a much better cut with the Exmark than the Hustler. I don't mulch so I can't help you there. From what I hear and experienced Hustler does fine in Southern grasses especially at lower cutting heights. Since you are in the transition zone it would help to know what kind of grass you are cutting.
  3. swim

I am cutting at 3.5 in. Grass is very bad this year if anything is alive it is mostly weeds, with the drought we have had. A little Bermuda, with some fescue coming back as the weather gets cooler . I have never mulched before. Always side discharged. I am just trying things out with the new mower to see what results I can get. Thanks for your input. There are alot of (wild onions) coming up. I have never been able to get a good cut at speed with any mower I have owned on them. I was hopping the ultra cut deck would, but not as of yet. I have some lawns on hills that I have always cut with my Scag. When I look at the lawn after cutting it would leave descent strips with no special set up. I looked the other day at the lawn as I was leaving and no strips from the Turf Tracer. I was honestly surprised not to see better strips from the ultra cut.:confused:
  4. swim

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Proslide would work well with a heavy machine like that, and it would strengthen the stripes. Have you played with the deck pitch? Sounds like you may not have any forward pitch to it. I'm not the expert with this machine though, you need to wait for john gamba---he's had a few of these. (watch out though---he'll try to get you to run double blades):nono:
  6. swim

I agree. As a mater fact I was reading what everyone has posted in the past about the proslide and it looks like it will help me allot. I tried to order one on line this morning, but no luck. I think there is a problem with their web site. I could not get it to complete the transaction. I guess I will have to Waite till Monday and give them a call to order:confused: . I will let you know how it works when it comes in. Thanks for the help. Anyone else got any tips?

I made a mistake with the height I am cutting at, it is 3 in:hammerhead: . Changed some stuff on SuperZ with the spacers for running flat blades and it messed me up. (Always trying to get that perfect cut out of all my mowers):rolleyes: I checked witch whole the pins were in while I was sharping blades and greasing every thing up today and it said 3in.
  7. swim

Here are a couple picks of some of what I am cutting. Its Bad I know but we have had a drought and some frosty mornings.

1 002.jpg
  8. swim

another before pic

1 003.jpg
  9. swim

Here are a few after pictures. The turf tracer cut the left side that it is on and the SuperZ the right side. Looks the same?

1 004.jpg

1 007.jpg

1 010.jpg
  10. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, is that a padlock hanging off the front?