Setting zone times with rainbird system?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lasher66, May 10, 2005.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I am more a lawn maintanence guy, but the other day I had a rainbird system intalled by the local irrigation company at my house. I figured you guys should know the answer to this. Is there a general rule of thumb on how to set the different zone times to make sure each zone gets the same water? Say one zone has mist heads and another has rotaries, another zone has 180 degree rotaries verses 360 degrees. Thanks for any help given.

Lasher

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

GRRRRRRRR, I'm going to vent first (sorry). You paid how much for a system? and the guy didn't show you how it works and how to use it?? WTF, how do these idiots survive day in and day out. They bid cheap, send in a crew that couldn't talk to the homeowner in English if they tried, and they get the last check and disappear. Oh, they will winterize it and turn it back on in the spring for a phenomenal amount provided it can be done with minimum customer contact. WHY do people insist on doing buisness with this TRASH?????

Now, to answer your question, IF your system was nozzled appropriately, A rule of thumb for you rotors should be 45-60 min for .5" precip. To get equivalent precip from your spray/mist zones try 15-20min, but depending on site conditions, be prepared to adjust that (usually down). Many side yard spray zones end up needing less than 10 min / run.

3. lasher66

I have about a 10000 sq ft yard and paid $1900. They seemed like professional people but I think that is one thing they forgot to tell me. He showed me how to use the timer but just didnt tell me how much water each zone uses. I figured I would ask in the forum instead of calling them.

Lasher

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a hell of a deal.

5. lasher66

They were able to make it a little cheaper because I told them not to put mist heads in the landscape (but they were able to hit the landscape with the rotaries anyways) and plus the very back of my yard by the fence only gets hit with rotaries from the middle of my yard so there is no head to head back there. So to sum it up, they were able to make it cheaper by using less zones.

Lasher

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

In my book, that's still a phenomenal price. How many zones/rotors did you end up with? I would guess 30+ in 6 zones and I would have been way over that sweet deal w/ a price.

and excuse my ranting, It just seems so common anymore that the customer is left holding the bag from a quick install company that has no service in them at all. I for one, wouldn't touch installs at the profit margin of being competitive if I wasn't getting a lifetime customer out of the deal.

7. lasher66

Im not sure how many heads, but I have 8 zones. The company that installed it did all the installs in my subdivision. I know they did it for cheap, but to me they appear very professional. They have been around for years.

Lasher

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

lasher66,you cant really adjust the AMOUNT of water per zone to make sure they all get the same amount of water ,
    reason being that different spray heads put out differing amounts of water and even the same spray head will put out different amounts of water depending on how it is adjusted for flow at the head itself.
    So what you want to do is adjust for the AMOUNT OF TIME each zone waters.the best way to do this is put a bucket or coffie can in center of each spray zone and run it manualy for 10 min,then see how many inches are in the bucket and adjust the time for the amount you want.
    Say I have acumulated 1"of water in the coffie can in ten minutes in the center of my lawn,Say I only need 1" of water on my lawn a week?(example only)then I would time the zone that waters that area for 5 minutes,twice a week on mondays and thursdays.Or once a week for 10 min...I don't know if I explained that to where it's understandable.