Settling?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DoubleB, Dec 3, 2007.

1. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

building a patio with a hottub on one side, the area where the hottub will be placed has to be completely level. in efforts to try and save some headache with drainage issues, how worried do i have to be about settling if i were to make that area level without any type of drainage, besides the permiable pavers underneath the tub?

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

why would you not pitch it away in all directions? puddling would be more of an issue not settling.

3. Top Dog Pavers

Top Dog Pavers LawnSite Member

outdoor applications of floorings, such as concrete, pavers,care must be taken that the base slopes to shed water. In other words, an outdoor surface should not be level unless adequate drainage of surface water is otherwise accounted for. Outdoor surface drainage should always positively drain away from your structure. Even if you have a wood deck that drains water between the spacings of the lumber, the ground beneath must shed water in a positive manner away from your building.

4. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

so when you guys build patios that have hottubs incorporated in them, how do you guys go about drainage? besides the obvious, and pitch it away from the house, do you guys do anything different?

My main concern is that they already have the area for the patio in concrete (which has cracked and settled) and i want to sell them on pavers, but they also dont have a huge budget. I know i should just let the job pass since the budget might affect my quality of work, and by no means do i want that. I am just curious as to if there is any other simple way to drain water away from the tub (which has to be level) without any type of catch basin, or underground system underneath.

5. Top Dog Pavers

Top Dog Pavers LawnSite Member

The 1 way it WILL affect your quality of work is to build that patio on top of exsiting concrete that is cracked just to get the job & stay within their budget.Remove the concrete & lay your own base down & start fresh or just dont take the job cause that settled concrete will compromise your job & future reco's!

6. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Walk away and sell a job to someone else. Doing a poor job gets you the wrong reputation no matter how good your intentions were.

7. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

I completely understand, I more than likely am going to tell them i can only do it one way and that is the correct way, or walk. I was just curious as to if there was some other way of draining water from around the hottub that i just wasnt familiar with or not thinking of.
    I was very tired when i wrote the thread, maybe should of just slept on it and not took any of your guys' time. sorry

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I could careless if the concrete is cracked! You are putting a hot top on top of it. No one will see it. If it is still level just use it. If you are going to do pavers for the pad, make the pad level. Then just have all the pavers on the 4 sides slope away from the pad. You will have no proablems them

9. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

I think I will just try and crown the base under the tub, that way water will still drain away and the tub will still be level, making sure i set the tub's center over the top of the crown.

On a side note: has anyone ever set a hotub on a patio that was pitched away from the house, say 2% slope, and not had any problems with it be sloped? I dont know much about hotubs but i guess they have to be completely level or the world comes to an end.

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

If you sloped the entire thing 2% i doubt you would have a proablem. Earlier this year we were pouring a concrete pad for a hot tub. My guys must of hit the forms with the wheel barrell or forgot how to use the level. Turns out the pad was about 1/2in off.