Setup for a small LCO

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lyube, Jan 13, 2008.

1. lyube

lyube LawnSite Fanatic

Hi,

What would you consider an ideal setup for a small Lawn Company? Let's say 10-15 accounts, small suburban homes. 1/4 acre lots.

Here's my own idea. Please critique me. There's no need for a ZTR, as nice as it would be.

32" BOP quick 32/36
    2-Stihl 250 Trimmers
    Stihl hand held blower
    8 foot trailer

2. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Sounds like your on the right path, I would add a 50 gal. trash can and some gas cans.
    Also a way to secure your handhelds/cans. I'm a newbee also.

3. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

No ZTR needed IMO. Need a 36-44" walk behind, 21" walk behind, 5'x10' trailer, good commercial trimmer and blower. If you do some shrub trimming, then a light commercial trimmer (Echo).

4. grasswhacker

I would pick up the larger walk behind and trailer in the pre owned market.

5. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

One more thing......INSURANCE !

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

business permits if your County or town requires them. And DONT put a sprayer and round up in your truck...as simple as it is/seems you have to have a permit to spray for hire....nice fines that start at 2500 for each offense and go from there

wayne

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

get the backpack blower....your arm will thank you at the end of the day. if you have a 32/36 no need for a 21"

8. grasswhacker

It's called a "backup" for any unforeseen problems with commercial mower.
    Get the 21". It's bailed me out many times for a low cost backup.

9. grassnazi1

grassnazi1 LawnSite Member

Personally, I would think about increasing the deck size to 44 or even a 48. 10-15 accounts isn't a lot, are you planning on banging them all out in one day? I guess it would also depend on the properties themself. Do they have fences etc? However, I would say your on the right path and i would also consider a back pack blower as well. It'll just make your life easier. Guess it all depends on where you want your business to go and how close the route is and what the properties are like.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

GW

Good point... once I got bigger the 36" became my back-up for the 52...

I started with the 21" and once I got the 36, the 21 never saw the light of day again...

The 21 as a backup makes even a better idea since he's considering the quick 32/36, no local dealers....But with 10-15 lawns, you are only looking at one full days worth of mowing with a 36" running solo. so if you have break down, its not like a full schedule were you need to be mowing 40 hours a week.