Setup for Wright Stander...Blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmc456, Apr 30, 2004.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm picking up a new 52" 23HP Wright Stander in the morning and want some input on what experienced Stander users feel is the best blade setup for quality of cut and striping.

My current mower stripes very well and the quality of cut is excellent. I demoed a Stander last fall and got a few complaints from clients about the quality of cut compaired to my regular mower. I couldn't disagree with them, the factory blades did not do as well as my doubles (high lifts / gators), but the compactness, quickness, and agility of this machine won me over. I know it should and will do as well as my current machine once I mess with the blade setup.

So back to my question, what blade setup do you recommend before I go purchasing blades to try?
  2. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

The problem that you are running into is the blade tip speed...

the Wright Stander has a slower blade tip speed than ExMark, Great Dane, Scag and that hurts the quality of cut..

Try a Great Dane Super Surfer before you buy!!

Your customers will never complain about the quality of cut....floating, easier to adjust deck set up as well.......
  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I was running double gators and found it to be bogging down a little in the spring, tall, damp grass. I stepped back to singles and it is working better and the striping is still really good. I have the 61" with the Kaw 23hp......

4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

The blade tip speed is not lower on a Stander than other mowers. Where do people get this bogus information?

You can easily use double blades on a Stander, just like most other mowers. Simply put a Gator or another hi lift blade on top.

Your Stander will out perform a Great Dane any day with the superior controls and better weight balance.

As far as blades go, I prefer either the Rotory or Lazer #3404 which is a hi lift blade.

I also suggest that you look into putting a heavy duty air filter kit on that engine asap. The factory air filter sits out front and low to the ground making it a definite hazzard.
  5. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

yup Must go heavy duty air filter. Im still amazed every time I run it.(not often) Great mower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

just read the literature and/or specs on the various mowers and you will find this out for yourself.

The blade tip speed is lower and this produces a lower quality of cut.

The Stander does not out perform the Super Surfers.....I have used both and am pretty familiar with each one...

plus...a fixed deck is old school and way past it's prime on the Stander!!
  7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

just give all the combos a try.... i ended up with double high lifts. they really move some air and stripe very well.
  8. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for you input.

Just a note. My Wright dealer here in Louisville is dopping the Stander and Sentar. They are selling the last few they have at cost or should I say giving them away.

I just got a 52" 23HP Stander for $4,100.

They have the following left:
    2 36" Standers $3,000
    3 52" 23 HP Sentars $4,800
    1 52" 19 HP Stander $3,900
    1 48" ?? HP Stander $?

They all are brand new w/ warranty. The Sentars are still in crates. Dealer is Louisville Tractor. Ask for Ben (great sales guy). Let him know David gave you the tip. You should be able to get a great deal. I don't get anything but I work with him all the time. He will take care of you.

These deals are cash / check only. No credit. You can finance but the price will go up 2-3% if need be.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a trick for better striping. Use only 3 spacers on the spindle and the rest on top. This will kept the blade 5/8" above the bottom of the deck, so the grass gets laid over after being cut. Then adjust the deck to get you desired high. Make sure the deck is level as you can get it. Tire pressure can change levelness by 1/8". The front spacer on the tires are easy to change, but you have to unbolt the rear wheel motor frames. Still easy to do. I also found 1.25" wide shims that are .020 thick at my JD dealer. Which i placed on the wheel spindel to get the deck with in 1/32" off of level both ways. You can call me anial, but it keeps people from saying my cut is not level. I am also going to mount some rubber strips to mine when i get a chance to really strip lawns. I run gators in the spring and regular the rest of the year. I just order the mulching kits so i will be running gators from now on.

Leisure Lawn the stander boys don't bust on your great danes, so stop busting on ours. By the way tip speed for standers are:
    48" 177mph- 15576fpm
    36" 52" 193mph-16984fpm
    42" 61"225mph-19000fpm
    Great dane doesn't even post this info.