1. WGLandscapeMaintenance

WGLandscapeMaintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Which setups do you guy's like more when starting out. I know of course everyone says WB, but what about a small ztr, like a 48 or 52 and a 21 push mower, or 48 WB and 21. The 21 is for areas where the ztr or wb can't fit.

I'm thinking with the Z, productivity will skyrocket, and I'd be able to fill the 3 bagger with cleanups and which is substantially more than the 3 or 4 bushel or w.e it is catcher on a WB. I'd be able to finish an account rather than stop, dump the catcher, and then get back going. And, I'd be able to have the JRCO aerator mount as well as the JRCO dethatcher mount. With a WB, they don't recommend having the aerator on a WB because of weight and traction issues.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. WGLandscapeMaintenance

Had to add more....

Of course cost comes into play. Obviously the Z is going to cost more upfront, and maintenance will be more. I'm just starting out so that may not be the best option because a Z is a larger initial investment, but eventually its ROI of the immense amount of work work it can do compared to a WB blows the WB away. Btw, I would be buying used of course. The hard part is figuring out which will be the most productive (the Z obviously), but meet the demands of being cost effective for a start up (which is where the WB comes in). Just like in basic economics, the equilibrium price. Please provide some of you guys' insight.

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I started with a 44 WB and 21 push. Within a month I knew the WB wasnt gonna get it. I then purchased a 66 Zturn. I used the 44 and 66 and dropped the 21. I then replaced the 44 belt drive with a 48 TTHP which is hydrostatic drive. That was OK but recently replaced the 48 TTHP with a 48 Toro Grandstand. I dont bag clippings. I just bag leaves in the fall and use an Accelerator on the 66 or cloth bagger on the 48. Ive lost only 1 customer because I wouldnt bag clippings. Ive only lost 1 customer due to a gate the 48 wouldnt go through. I am happy with my set up for lawns of all sizes as long as there is no gate.

4. B Gillespie

B Gillespie LawnSite Member

What about a walker for your Z? Attachment ready and a clean finish. Add a 48-60" stander and a Honda or Toro 21 and you have the perfect start up rig.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. WGLandscapeMaintenance

I'm thinking of going with a 60 or 52 ztr. The first LCO I worked for had 4 deere ztr's and 1 21 for fenced areas. To my knowledge he had maybe 3 accounts that needed the 21 and they were in fenced areas. I think a ztr is a much wiser purchase than a wb.

6. WGLandscapeMaintenance

I'll look into the walker. I like the Hi Dump option. That would be perfect for me to get it into the back of my truck. I just don't like the goofy setup of them, the controls are really weird compared the rest of the brands. And idk if I'll get a stander, I'm not much of a fan of them. How do the walkers stripe?

7. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

8. B Gillespie

B Gillespie LawnSite Member

After a few minutes on the Walker I demoed, I loved the controls. Much better than my Turf Tiger. My girl friend thought it looked lime I was holding my junk.

The demo unit I had was an MT with the 26 efi and high dump. I didn't care for the high dump because it took away from stability. It striped very well, much better than the Wright Stander I demoed, my JD walk behind, Turf Tiger, or the Toro grand stand I demoed. It cut the best out of all of them, but a mulching stander would be more efficient if the property owners were not concerned with a top quality cut or bagging.

Demo a lot of units and see what works for you. I had no idea I would decide on a Walker, I was set on a stander.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Your on the right track WG! Look at the statistics, ZTR productivity is waaaaaaaaaay better than any walk behind. I see people boasting about 5-6 mph on a w/b, when most commercial ZTR go past 10 mph, and some 15 mph.

Had both and am selling the w/b and got another ZTR.

BTW 48 - 52 is not small.

10. WGLandscapeMaintenance

The only thing I have against the Walker is that it's a dedicated bagger, although there is the option to have it discharge out the back, I'm still undecided. I really like the lazer Z 52 or 60, if I can find one for a good price that's what I'm buying, but I do need to demo the walker. The only problem is that there isn't a walker dealer close, but my exmark dealer is 11 or 12 miles away.