Seven acres - Need new mower.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by seb442, May 1, 2004.

1. seb442

seb442 LawnSite Member

My house sits on 7 acres of which I mow about 3 acres of it every 5- 10 days depending on the time of year. I have a JD LT133 13hp 38" cut. Need something bigger and faster. I would also like to mow all 7 acres rather than just the 3. Not a lot of trees but planting more all the time. I have been looking at ZTR mowers such as the Kubota 21 hp diesel, Hustler Super Z, and a few others. Should I go with a commercial or residential mower and would diesel be going overboard. Are the ZTR mowers a good option for my needs or should I be looking at other options. Most of my neighbors have tractors with either a belly mower or a rear finish mower. Looking for opinions. Thanks for your time.

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

My personal property is similar to yours. I have almost 10 acres that approximately 6 gets finish mowed, and the rest gets brush hogged when ever I get time.
    I would recommend that you get something with a belly mower. If you use a three point mower you will be doing a lot of trimming around trees. Also consider how much space you have between trees. You will want to get something to fit between them. I use a ZTR for mine, but I also use it commercially. You will get all kinds of opinions explaining that one brand is better than another. I chose a Ferris because it is extremely well built, and the independent suspension is very important to me since I mow quite a bit of rough ground. Since you have quite a bit ot mow, I would definetly consider a commercial mower. It will last you a longer time, and will be cheaper in the long run. Hope this helps.
  3. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I think a tractor will give you a lot more versatility I would be looking at a Kubota compact or Sub Compact with attachments you can mow till, level, dig, move material. Basically a Z will just mow.

But they are really cool.
  4. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

If you have a Great Dane dealer in your area give the Chariot ZTR riders a shot.

They are awesome machines that are really well built and right now they have a $500 factory rebate!

You can buy a 61" 25 HP Dane Chariot for $6899!!

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

just got a 02' hustler superZ -72"....AWESOME machine!!! used it last few days at a 50 acre property, (30+ mowable)they used to cut this with 2tractors & 4 and 6' rough-cut mowers...would take them 2or3 days to cut what the tractors would handle(inclines).
    me & supersueZ knocked that out in under 16 hrs.
    cutting extra stuff the tractors couldn't touch!
    commercial-&-diesel over kill??-maybe, depends on $$$
    it would be a one time investment though,that would serve you trouble-free ,and probly your next generation,as well.
    ROUGH GROUND ???- since your in the price range,you might consider FERRIS also. for the suspention...wish i had a dealer round here.
  6. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Just my opinion, you can’t go overboard in this process! If I were in the same shoes as you I would definitely get the diesel! You will be amazed in the difference in fuel usage between the diesel and the gas! And they will last a very long time if properly maintained. I have used the Super Z and it is a great machine that will save you a ton of time. I also had a 4-WD Kubota diesel with a five-foot finish mower on it. (I sold it for about the same price as I gave for it 13 years later!) Over the life span of the machine I believe the Diesel will more than pay for itself in fuel consumption and then the resale will be higher on the diesel. Bad thing is Hustler does not have their diesel out yet, but you might check with them. I believe they are trying to get one out soon. With Kubota I would get the 28 Hp Diesel with the pro deck over the 21 Hp. I have a friend that has the 21/60 Kubota and he said he could use a little more power on his machine If memory serves me I got a quote of 10,600 out the door on the ZD-28/60 Pro deck last year on the Kubota. But there are a lot of companies that have diesels on their mowers. So find a good dealer that will take care of you down the road! If you are just going to mow your seven acres I believe a quality mower with a diesel could last you 20-30 years if you maintain it properly. I passed on the Kubota and went with a Hustler Super walk-behind for my finish mowing. The walk-behind handles the hills on my place better than the Kubota (It has suited my needs very well.) I also have a 40 Hp diesel tractor on my place and would hate to be with out it!
    I hope this helps you!

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

Mikes Lawn and Landscape brings up a good point. As much as I love my ZTR it truly is only meant for mowing. A compact tractor would open up the machine to be used for several other things. I would think that a Steiner 430, or a Ventrac 4200 would be the best of both worlds. They are available with diesel or gas, and can be used with all kinds of attachments to do just about everything you could think of. The finish mowers that are available range from 60" - 72", and come from the factory with a roller/striper kit installed. Ventrac is made in the next town over from me, and I have been through the factory. It really is an amazing machine
  8. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

I've got some pretty rough terrain, so I wanted a commercial ZTR (had previously used a JD mid-mount tractor, but used it 98% of the time just mowing). After checking out most of the major brands, I ran across the Country Clipper and was very impressed (also liked the new EverRide Warrior but it was more expensive). Since I have a little less acreage, I settled on the 23hp 52" Charger at $5845 (with pivoting front axle and 4 yr commercial warranty). The 25/60 model runs $6185. They offer Kawi/Kohler option and choice of twin stick/single joystick controls (if you try the joystick for more than 10 minutes, you'll never go back). I expected a nice cut (already had demoed) but was more impressed with how well it handled the overgrown section I had given up mowing a year ago - - 3-4 feet tall with many thicker than my thumb! I'll have to sharpen the blades (will switch to mulching most of it) but even that is easier with the standard flip-up deck. Good luck!
  9. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

4 year commercial warranty??

You better read your owners manual again....

the 4 year warranty only covers the frame and the deck.....those items don't break on any machine in that short time frame.

I hate companies that have extended BS warranties on stuff that does not break...

BTW....some manufacturers have a lifetime warranty on their frame and parts of their deck...why?? because that is not the trouble areas on these machines.

Buy from a name brand company with good parts and dealer support!!
  10. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

You're right, but I was especially interested in the deck warranty. I wasn't kidding about the rough terrain. My neighbor has already welded then replaced his Turf Tiger 61" deck twice in 3 years.