Seven Dust?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JMiller08, Mar 24, 2010.

1. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone use seven dust? I have a was problem and i went to home depot the other day. The guy instructed me to use seven dust. How effective is it? I spread it all over around the problem areas by my house. I cant even let my dogs out on their tie outs because theyve gotten stung. Last year i used regular was spray worked for about a week then they came back even worse. So does anyone have actual experiance with this stuff or is there anything better?

2. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

I use it to dust my cats and dogs for fleas.

What are you after? Bees? Use Orthene. (Acephate)

3. JMiller08

Whoops i meant to put wasp. I forgot the p.

4. SeedPro

Eh there's probably some pyrithrins or something but some good old cheap as hell Acephate will chase em away.

5. JMiller08

Where can i get acephate?

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

What are you trying to prevent? What kind of insect is stinging your dogs?
    Or are they being bitten rather than stung. Is this happening at this time of year? If so, sounds like ticks, not a stinging insect, but a spider like pest. Sevin will not kill them, but will kill their natural predators & increase the # of ticks.

Do not apply pesticides to your dogs or your property until you have diagnosed what the cause is. Do not rely on accurate pesticide info from guys at HD.

7. SeedPro

He said he has wasps FFS.

Not Ticks.

8. JMiller08

We have a wasp problem. I just dusted around where they are hanging out, so i will see what happens.

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Wrong advice. Pyrethrins or Acephate will not "chase them away". If you know it's wasps, you need to locate the nest and treat it directly. Indiscriminate applications of pesticides may not be effective and may be detrimental to your dogs' health.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have heard Sevin dust is excellent for ground nesting yellow jackets. Wait till night and dump in an ounce or two into the nest opening. The dust clings to their body hairs and eventually contaminates the whole nest as they go in and out.
    HOWEVER...it is not yellowjacket season. Determine the exact problem first. Sevin is highly toxic to bees and Etc--and often that is a big negative.