Seven year old in coma after being hit with stone from mower.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

A friend of a friend had this happen to their son over the weekend. Father was mowing (not sure with what, or if the gaurd was on or off, or how far away) but a stone came off the blades and struck him in the forhead. Hes been in and out of a coma with a fractured skull and internal bleeding / pressure on the brain. They're worried about the pressure causing oxygen deprivation and brain damage. Pretty scary, its bad enough breaking a window or hitting a car.... Would be a good reason to invest in a OCDC.
  2. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Thats why no living things except for me are in the yard.
  3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

That's sad.

I am constantly reminded every day that our life here on Earth is a gift. Every minute is a gift. Not just for our lives - but for those around us.

Whether it's a rock from a mower, or a kidnapper, or a car wreck or a sudden heart attack - there are people leaving this world every moment. People who were fathers, sons, daughters, mothers. It's all sad. But it's also a reminder that every moment you have with your parents, kids, spouse, etc. is precious. Don't ever take it for granted. If you have kids or parents or a spouse, use these stories as constant reminders to leave on good terms. Whenever I leave my Mom or wife or kids, I always give them a big kiss and hug as if it were possibly going to be my last. And I cherish every smile, every laugh, every tickle, every moment when I am with them. Because one of these days, it will be my last.

Don't take it for granted.
  4. Greenstar Services

Greenstar Services LawnSite Member

That is so true Jim. Just say a prayer the the young one and hope for the best.
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim....Mate, you are right, very well said, thank you.
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

this is the reason we all need insurance.
    even if you make sure no body is in the yard, a kid riding by on a bike could end up the same way.
    can you imagine how bad the father feels....

my thoughts are with the family.
  8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

True, so true....the "Party" will end for each one of us....enjoy it......
  9. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Has there been any change or additional word on the boys' condition?

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That is why safety cannot be stressed enough. There are some people on this site that don't even have a clue. I've heard talk of "not needing" insurance, or not enough work to justify it, and such. There was a member not long ago that even spoke of cancelling his insurance, because he felt that he didn't need it... Hard to believe.
    Here is something that happened to a local lco that I know.
    He had a commercial property that had a rental unit on iy among some other things. There were kids that always played outside when they were there, and though he spoke to the people that lived there about it, it never seemed to help. The best thing that happened, was that the kids would play on the other side - away from the mowers. Well, one day, he got the phone call. It was one of his employees saying that "You better get over here quick. When he asked what happened, the employee just replied. "Just get over here."
    Well, he left right away and drove as fast as he could. When he arrived, he was told what happened. His guy was coming around the corner of a high fence, slowed down and took caution, and proceeded when it was clear. Well, he hit a stone, and it flew a considerable distance, and hit this kid right square beside the eye. He was told by the paramedics that it didn't look good. The mother was already on the way to the hospital with the child. For a while (about 2 weeks), they didn't know if they were going to be able to save the eye, or if the kid would lose it. Well, they couldn't save it. Now, don't think for a MINUTE that there wasn't a MAJOR lawsuit, because there was. His insurance was somehow able to take care of it, but this kid is STILL without an eye for the rest of his life. This is just another wake up call that it CAN happen, and it can happen to any and all of us. It just takes once, and when it happens, happens oh so fast. If it can happen to a father and son, you can rest assured it can happen to anyone else. Also, this was more than likely just from a homeowner type tractor (odds are). Imagine the velocity out of a commercial mower with almost double the blade tip speed.
    I pray for this child, his father, and the family.