1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Severe blade damage...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jajwrigh, Feb 7, 2004.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Anyone ever severly damage a blade?! I ran over a brick as a kid with my lawnboy and did some serious damage to the blade. I also borrowed my stepfather's craftsman tractor and went up an edge of sidewalk and badly damaged the blade, the sidewalk, and the engine even shut off. I tried to convince him it never ran too well. Sorry I am losing it....being trapped in my house and all.;)
  2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

At least two dozen/season

Go to the scrapheap for being too bent to resharpen.

Just part of business. Steel=collateral.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

it's steel, it's gonna wear down and out
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the last time I damaged some seriously was about 2 years ago I was when mowing a vacant lot and ran over a circle of rocks that was forming a camp fire pit
  5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

That rock that my deck has been clearing all season, all of a sudden grew an didn't clear the deck anymore....hmmmmmm

I might have forgot to raise the deck from 3" to 3 1/2"though, I cant remember!!;) :eek:
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

A couple of years ago I was mowing a yard for the first time of the season. It bordered a huge reed patch. Did you know that a rusty horseshoe peg is the same color as reeds when they're first starting to grow? Well I'm cutting through these new reed shoots and all of a sudden there is a loud whack noise and the mower starts shaking. I pulled the mower forward and there was a 1" thick horseshoe peg sticking out of the ground. I looked at the mower deck and the blade was destroyed plus the spindle was broken into several pieces. So I drove 60 miles to the Dixie dealer to pick up a new spindle and 3 hours later I was cutting again.
  7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

A few years ago, I caught one of those corkscrew dog anchors with 10" of steel cable in the blades of a WB.Before I knew it, it chopped the top off the anchor, and wrapped the steel cord around the spindles.Ruined the gators, that was it.
  8. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

while your sitting in your house not doing anything,,,,,INVENT something that wont allow a blade to be damaged!
  9. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I dont think you are a Lawn Maintenance Professional if you never damaged a blade.

I once hit the water main shutoff.
  10. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

Ken, that must have been spectacular. if i were the customer (who invariably peeks at you from behind the curtains) i would be laughing my ass off!:D

little off topic, i once had an employee sharpen and replace the blade on a pushmower. got out to the first job, i took the push mower to the back of the property to do a fenced area. while i was cutting the blade fell off. the blade and bolt were directly underneath the deck, the washer was nowhere to be found. after a good deal of searching, we discovered that it had gone completely through both sides of a nearby (about 20 yards away) mobile home. fortunately it was abandoned. someone could have died.